SubscribeSetting up new 30 gal tank for Frys
entkitty
---------------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 129
Votes: 1
female usa
EditedEdited by entkitty
This is what I have now: 10 Gal Tank; 19 Boesemani Rainbowfish (Fry); Bare bottom; Tetra Whisper 20I Internal Filter; RENA Air Pump 200;Lustar Hydro-Sponge Filter 2; floating water sprite, and a couple of other potted plants. - oh, heater too.

What I would like to do is use what I already have but am not sure if it is enough. If not, what else should I get in the way of equipment. Any help would be grand. Thanks in advance.

See my profile (link below) for fish and setup.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.
Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2006 16:26Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Sounds a good setup to me .
You definatly want the bare bottom to help keep the poo up (anyone else find that amusing ). The plants will help provide hiding spots, and the sponge filter should provide enough circulation without causing too much current for the fry. I'd run the sponges first (I'm assuming you seeded them already) then add the other filters as the fry grow up.
Yup sounds good .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 00:08Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
entkitty
---------------
Fish Addict
female usa
The sponge filter is only for a 20 gal. and yes, it is full of the good stuff. I just am not sure if I am missing anything, since this is my first fry setup. Also, more fry are on the way. I have about 2 aday that I catch, that is why the bigger tank.

Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 01:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Sometimes microrganisms growing on surfaces are a helpful supply of free food for baby rainbows, so either add a little bogwood , or go heavy on the plants to increase the amount of available surfaces. Baby rainbows in nature nearly always congregate in heavily vegetated areas, it will help them feel comfortable and be a refuge from the filter flow. Chuck in a few baby amano shrimp to help scavenge the excess algae,get the last nutrients out of the poo and missed food. If the shrimp are small they should be no danger to the fry, and will help keep tabs on the inevitable algae.

There are a number of small fan shrimp that will be able to help you clear up even liquid food, and pose no threat to fry, although they might scavenge dead ones, which gross as it may seem is actually handy if one dies while you happen to be out. Its probably less risky to use shrimp than something like ottos if youre worried about disease transmission. If you start losing fry to the filter, try something like an eheim aquaball and put as many extra chambers on it as you can fit in the tank. I find them great for not sucking up fry, and the flow is adjustable.
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 15:39Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
entkitty
---------------
Fish Addict
female usa
EditedEdited by entkitty
Fan shrimp, I have never seen them. I have seen, just today when I went out looking for fan shrimp, Bamboo Shrimp. I have put up a fry divider in the 30 to split up the very young from the young. Giving the very young 1/4 of the tank. I guess I will have to do more resurch on the shrimp and find out where I can buy them. Thanks longhaired.

Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 21:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
entkitty
---------------
Fish Addict
female usa
well, here are the pictures of the little guys in there new tank.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/entkitty/album?.dir=/10e1scd&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,19%3af,0

Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 17:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies