SubscribeStarting Over :)
Firenze
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 20
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by Firenze
Well, everything that was living in the 10g. in the basement has passed on (the tank was under my dad's control, and a lot of fish that didn't belong in there went in, and he absolutely refused to return the millions of guppies and the goldfish), so I'm going to redo the tank completely, with new equipment, new gravel, everything. I want to do a tank the RIGHT way for once! Now, on my limited lifeguard's salary, that will take a while, so for now, what's the best way to clean out a tank? I mean like full on clean. (And to plan ahead, I'm using a Whisper filter in my 29g and it seems fine; is that a good brand? And if I have enough money (which I won't), heater/gravel suggestions? Dark colored gravel, right? I still haven't decided on the fake/real plant issue... my few endeavors in live plants have failed, so, we'll see...)

THANKS A TON!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 04:54Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I would go with a natural gravel 2-3mm at at least 3ins deep this seems to go well with most tropical set ups.

Put a request in the classifieds stating where you live and you never know what might turn up.

All the best

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 05:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
A full on clean.. so you want to wash it all out properly before starting over?
i recommend using household bleach mixed with water then declor and declor and declor till any sign of bleach is long gone...
whisper is a good brand to use im guessing its a HOB?
natural gravel as keith suggested would look good with almost any tropical fish and is what is found in most tanks however gravel is up to... just rinse it really well before adding to the tank.

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 08:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Firenze
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks guys! Yeah, Whisper's HOB.

First snag. I cleaned out the tank like you said, but there's a rim of white stain around the top of the tank on all four walls. There's some on the back of the hood too. I researched a little bit and I found someone with a similar complaint, and the answer ended up being some kind of mineral build-up (which I guess would make sense, since my house gets well water). White vinegar worked for them, but it doesn't seem to do the trick for mine. Any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 00:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
if its thick i would recommend using a paint scraper or razor and CAREFULLY scrape it off sometimes you come across algae and build up which is difficult to remove and scraping is the only way.
when i got my 55g is was in pretty bad shape covered with algae and build ups and i just took to it with a paint scraper and removed it all this way.
i just have to stress the careful part.. we dont want glass scratches!

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 01:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
With the calcium build up fill the tank up leave it for a few days then certainly use a new razor blade.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 08:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Firenze
-----
Fingerling
male usa
If I were to hypothetically add live plants, is it better to add them before or after cycling?
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2006 21:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ericm
---------------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 448
Votes: 47
male canada
You can add the plants before the cycling is complete. Doing so will allow the plants to be nicely grown, so when adding the majority of your fish they will have a nice planted tank. Plants also use ammonia and nitrates if i am not mistaken.
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2006 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies