Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking 20g X-Tall
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
I have a 20g extra tall in which I kept my Angel, Diana. Diana has since graduated to the 72g bowfront. Right now I have 3 Serpae Tetras in the 20g X-tall. Plastic plants, but planning on an Amazon Sword.

Suggestions for stocking?? I do like schoolers

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 04:29Profile PM Edit Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Do you like the serpaes? If so it might be nice to increase their number to at least 6. I've never kept them myselves but from what I've read they can be rather nippy. Maybe just have a good-sized school and perhaps some sort of bottom feeder?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 14:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Yeah it is hard to stock a tall tank so stocking an extra tall one should be fun lol. But I would go with 6-8 serpaes, 5 zebra danios, and 4 cories, and maybe 2 ottos.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 17:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
I bought the 20g X-tall to accomodate an Angelfish who was being "shunned" and picked on in the 60g hex. So, yes, now I don't know what to put in there in her place. I have two tanks with angels already and want to try something different.

Perhaps neon tetras? As for Zebra Danios, I thought they preferred a long tank over a tall one?
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 15:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Neons would be a good choice, and your right about the danios but with a small number it wouldn't be too bad. But the the neons sound good.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 17:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Neons would be good, they stay near the bottom and don't move around too much. I'd up the Serpaes to 6...just so they won't pick on any newcomers.

Go with:
6 serpaes
8 neons
3 ottos

or

6 serpaes
6 neons
4-6 pygmy cories

What are the dimentions of the tank by the way? I don't want you to pile too many fish in there. If its really tall and not very long (which I'm sure it is), then I'd go with my first suggestion and not add anymore fish other than the serpaes and neons and ottos.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 01:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
I don't know how you feel about numbers of fish, but i think it would be pretty cool to just have one big school of Serpeas, and maybe 2-3 ottos.
Wouldn't it be so cool to have them all swimming around, with loads more cool behaviour than you'd get with two schools?
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 20:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
I think it would be very cool BNF. I'm a big fan of huge schools (even though you wouldn't know it by my tanks ). I'd love to have the self control to only have one school in a tank.

So, how about the big school of Serpaes rasboramary?

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 20:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I've always thought that a 20XH would make a great small paludarium for tree frogs, or even dart frogs. But those are not fish, so it probably doesn't help any... sorry.
Have you considered dwarf corys? If you can find them, that is. I have a group of c. hastatus and they are amazing, and unlike other corys, they use the middle water column as well as the bottom, so that might be better for a tall tank. Since they are so smallm, they also don't add much to the bio-load, which is good for a tank with so little surface area on the bottom for waste to accumulate.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2006 15:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies