SubscribeTank Number 4
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
A friend had to move, and couldn't take their tank and offered it to me. Who am I to say no?
It's a 10G with a Tetra Whisper filter, horrible white blue gravel, and 3 ceramic hidey hole cavey things. But, it has a nice Elite heater, and a nice hood with light.
It came with fish too! A Penguin Tetra, a Glowlight tetra, a Dwarf African Frog, and (Drumroll Please) A 7" Gold Chinese Algae Eater! What the heck am I gonna do with this big guy? If there are no other fish in the tank, is 10G big enough for him? The profile says that they are aggressive? I guess my 55G community won't work for him.
Also, what to do about the frog???? Can I put him in with my Rainbowfish, and corys?
What a strange mix of fish!
Dan

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2008 06:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
Whoa!! nice score!!

tis a very interesting mix indeed....hmmmm...
well, that 10G does seem a bit small for that CAE, and the 55G would be better suited for him capacity-wise,, How does he act with his current tankmates?? I mean this one must be somewhat mild-mannered if its been kept with 2 tetras' and a wee-tiny frog that could have been easy pickins' for some time now.

Maybe try an brief introduction into 55G(after observation period of course) and closely watch the interaction with them all, sure the Bosemanis' will be a bit feisty/curious, just a thought.
The 2 tetras in a 10... judgement call, dosen't sound over-stocked, but in the long-term, it may get stuffy for them, the frog.. lol... I personally could not tell ya, have very little expierence with them, and all of it was unsucessful..lol. I'm sure someone will come along with more and better suggestions hehehe

again, nice score !!!
J.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2008 17:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
EditedEdited by gaia
I would say to get rid of the CAE - sell it or give it to somebody that can take care of it and wants him, unless you don't like him too much.
The problem with the tetras is all of them like to have large company of their own, keeping just one of a kind is not really a good idea.
In the 10 g I Would keep or frog (s), or a school of Glowlights or maybe both (I don't know anything about frogs though).
About the Penguin - or you get rid of him too, or you get him some friends - at least 4-5 more of his kind, and put them in a bigger fishtank.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2008 19:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Ya CAE are aggressive. What they do, is tend to prefer the slime coat of other fist more than the algae they supposedly eat.

Either trade him into the LFS or keep him by himself in the 10. From what I remember of my golden CAE (had him a week before I did more research on him and took him back) they aren't super active so it might do ok in the 10, even though it's a tad on the small side.

I don't like mismatched tetras at all , they need schools. If you don't have room for them in your larger tanks take them back to the store.

I'm actually really surprised that the CAE hasn't gone after the dwarf frog, usually they're very slow moving and would make a perfect target for a CAE.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 00:16Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fishsage
-----
Hobbyist
Tank You Daddy.
Kudos: 53
Votes: 16
male canada
Yeah, the Tetra's need to go..... Not a big fan anyway. I am really like the CAE. He's really kind of funny.
I just can't really believe that the four creatures have been peacefully cohabitating for so long!
I am actually thinking of setting up my 20 gallon for the CAE and maybe a couple of Dwarf Cichlids..... Apistogramma maybe? I have a half tonne of Dolomite flagstone that I can use some of to build a cave structure for the tank with multiple openings. Dunno, going to mull it over for a few days while I watch the new arrivals health.
Thanks again for the input!

55G -5x Bosemani, 3x Emerald Cory,3x Red Rainbow, 3x Turquoise Rainbow. 20G-Empty. 10G -4x Danio 3x Cory Fry 1 Gold Mystery Snail. 10G- 1x CAE, 2x Tetra 1x ADF
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 03:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
I am pretty much in agreement that the tetras either need to be returned or keep one and make a school, the CAE I would definetly return. If it was my tank I would make it a pretty impressive cherry barb tank, that is after I got rid of the white blue gravel!

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2008 08:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
The CAE is probably not to active as he is IMO way to big for a ten gallon, of course if you put him in your 55 he will be more active but you will start to notice horseshoe shaped wounds on your Rainbows. That is the CAE eating the slime coat off of them. I have seen them as small as three inches eating the coat off of my guys. So Maybe putting him in the 20 is a better idea. but I personally would trade him in for a smaller one.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2008 16:53Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Gaia
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 25
Votes: 30
belgium
I don't think CAE and apistogrammas are a good combination. Beside the problems other fish can have with a CAE, apistogrammas can't take stress very well.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2008 11:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
maybe a trio of yellow labs or electric blues (they stay in the smaller sizes) also i am agreing with everyone... the CAE is going to cuse you way more problems than help! i would rather have a huge common pleco with some midly agressive cichlids than a CAE... either take him to the LFS (sell him or give him away...) and get soem smaller bottom feeders (corries, bristle nose pleco, etc.)

you could do a really cool set up in the10g with some corries, a betta and a small tetra or small carachin school.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2008 21:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies