Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhich tank?
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
36" x 24" x 24" holds close to 90 gal whereas a 48" x 18" x 24" holds the same water.
The 36" costs $165 but the 48" costs $189.
Both tanks are the same height, only the length/width parts differ.

Does this make any difference to fish. Are they just as happy with a shorter tank with plenty of width to hide in the back, or do you think they would prefer a longer but narrower tank?

I have a stand for a 36" tank so I am biased. I want to know more what the fish would prefer.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 06:44Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
They both have the same amount of surface area also. (864 sq. in.) The question to ask is, what size fish would you keep in it? If you want larger fish, the 36" tank gives them more room to turn around. For smaller fish, I don't think it really matters. Another consideration would be aquascaping and what type of aquascaping the aquarist wants to do, and which one would be best for that.

><>
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 07:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
since i know you are into cories and smaler fish and you already have a stand for it go for the 36''.. it would be much more benficial to you and all of your new cory fry will love the space... but it all depends on what you WANT and what you can afford...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 07:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
to me, I would think that it would be better to have the tank with more front to back space, more depth for plants, hiding, aquascape, etc. And of course, there is the cost and the fact that you have the stand already... so, I guess my vote goes with the 36" tank :-)
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
If you plan to keep some medium size shoaling fish (large tetras / rainbows), 48" will give them more length to swim in school and look nicer.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 17:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I'd go with the longer tank as well. Unless the fish
being housed in the tank are "up and down" fish, I'd
give them more room to swim from end to end in.
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 18:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
The fish would be fish I already have which will be requiring their own 'space'. I have 3 eupterus upsidedown cats who may become territorial, so just one 3ft tank (which I already have) may not be just enough.

My elephant nose will also want to come out of the quiet 2ft tank sometime but my current 3ft community tank of clown loaches, gouramis and angels may not suit him.

Most of my fish are fine with the tanks they have atm. I am just thinking of the future.

If those 4 rotten clowns don't stop uprooting and eating my plants, they will be going on a one way trip to the lfs. It wouldn't be the one SAE doing it surely?
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 03:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
I think it all depends on the needs of the fish yo intend to keep in it. Personally, I'd choose the longer one. Fish always seem to like some swimmin room.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 01:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies