Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMullusk
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
We got it from a nearby lake, and we have a 35 gal pond setup. Thinking of getting a few Comets in there too. Want to put in, but i'm worried about parasites. Any way to un-parasite it w/out killing? And is it true that the filter feeding bi-valves help keep the water cleaner?

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2006 22:50Profile PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 03-Jun-2006 01:01
This post has been deleted
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
You could probably try it but I see alot of potential problems. Pretty much all medicines kill them. Even things like melafix. They are very sensitive to water quality, chemicals, and pollutants. Also some spread by releasing a larval form into the water which can attach itself to fish leaving white dots all over them that look alot like ich. Even small clams or mussels require alot of food in the water and water flow because they don't travel to find their own food. Larger ones found in lakes and rivers would probably be difficult to keep fed in a tank. I've kept golden clams before and they tend to be more trouble than they are worth.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2006 07:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
you can keep it quarrantined for about 3 months and just continually change the water to pick up any eggs or larvae that were using it as an intermediary host

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2006 00:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
EditedEdited by Calilasseia
I thought I'd put a post in here (and a long one at that) with all kinds of caveats about freshwater bivalves. Did I put that in another thread or has it disappeared from here?

EDIT : I posted it in anothe thread. Namely this one on the same subject as this thread.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2006 23:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies