Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I'm in the process of putting together a heavily planted 2.5g for my betta. I'd really like to add some sort of shrimp or two, but not if they'll turn into betta snacks

So what are your personal experiences...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 21:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i have never done it, but i have mixed veiws, i guess depending on the betta, but i am guessing bamboo shrimp(or wood shrimp) would be better in a betta tank than a smaller ghost shrimp, so it really comes down on teh betta, and type of shrimp.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 23:13Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1951
Votes: 137
i had a group of shrimp in my 10 gallon with a couple bettas but more of other fish, and the shrimp stuck around for a while, untill some jumped and i couldent find them (darn clear bodies!) and the others dissapeared, so i guess im not sure lol, but why not test it for yourself? ghoast shrimp dont cost too much, and if some die, then either move them or the betta, and have a happy shrimp tank, or a happy betta tank
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2006 04:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Ghost shrimp and other shrimp of about 1.5" or larger will sometimes work. Small shrimp that are bite sized will often be seen as snacks. Ghost shrimp are still about 50/50 on whether the betta will attack them or not and an escaping shrimp does have a chance of flipping itself out of the tank. I would not keep any shrimp I really liked with any labyrinth fish. The risk that you will one day find your shrimp dead is pretty high. The large wood shrimp may be the only exception since I have seen mine fend off both sparkling and 3 spot gouramis with ease.

Wood shrimp would probably get along with bettas just fine but do not fit in a 2.5g tank. Even if you get the smallest species which would physically fit their feeding habits are not good for a small tank. They prefer to filter feed and to keep enough food suspended in the water column would ruin the water quality on a tank that small. The 3 in my 90g get fed 2 droppers full every other day of artemia food and crushed flakes mixed into a liquid filter feeder food designed for marine inverts. Being filter feeders though they are quite safe for larger tanks with even the smallest of fish.
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2006 05:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Honorarius
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 1
male canada
I added some Ghost Shrimp to my 20 gallon, hoping my betta would enjoy hunting them... So far, I still have all 6 Ghost Shrimp, and that was 1 month ago...
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 04:44Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
pugperson
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 953
Votes: 293
female usa
My experience has been that ghost shrimp become food. Depends on the individual, but my betta babes, adored eating them. But since they are inexpensive, I didn't mind letting them have fresh food.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 23:30Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I had a single ghost shrimp in a 10g with a male betta and the betta ignored the shrimp, but I put a ghost shrimp in a 5 gal. with a female betta and it was quite horriffic how she attacked, killed, and ate the poor thing. You could try one of the large filter-feeding shrimp like bamboo shrimp or singapore wood shrimp. They are about 3 inches long, will not harm fish, and are usually intimidating enough that the fish will leave them alone.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 19:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies