SubscribeParadise Fish
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
EditedEdited by thursday
I read on some website that they (paradise fish) don't need a heater or a tank, just treat them like a bowl betta. I think this info is misleading, but I've never owned them, so I don't know. Of corse, the same site said it was o.k to keep them (Bettas) in 6 o.z cups, and premoted putting it in a container w/ 3 females to exercise them. Poor females!

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 04:22Profile PM Edit Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
Votes: 0
usa
Paradise fish will be absolutely fine at room temperature in most parts of the world - if you're comfortable, they will be to. Naturally, they range from Korea to Vietnam, so they can handle a wide range of temperatures. While they can survive in small spaces, I think to truly see their behavior and have a healthy, happy fish, 10 gallons would be the minimum for a fish by itself but they really do best in 15+ gallon tanks where they can have some tankmates.

Really cool fish IMHO.

Eric
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 06:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
in history of fishkeeping, paradice fish were one of the first fishes to be introduced to the aquatic market. they are fine in cool water, and are very similar to bettas.

now with bettas in a cup, mixed issues, it is neither right or wrong lets leave it at that.

females: yea some people just dont bother to do research on them and males.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 06:56Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
I use to have one in a ten gallon, but he always acted bored. I think he died from stress and boredom. They are considered semi-aggressive, and will go after smaller non agressive fish like danios, and tetras (my experience).
They are interesting fish, but I think they really need a larger tank than a ten, so they can have some tank mates that are compatable with them, lots of plants and places to explore.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 20:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I had 3 females and a male in a 30gal, and they are stunning fish.

I also bought an albino for my 20, and he ended up dying after 4 weeks. I am not sure why still, possibly delayed pH shock, possibly pining.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 02:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
They can survive just fine in a tank with no heater, filter, or aeration and are extremely hardy towards ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. They also don't care one bit about water parameters such as the ph and hardness of your water but they are actually very active and intelligent fish that should not be kept in small containers. I tossed mine in 60g tubs outside, never fed them, they ate bugs and whatever else, let the rain refill the containers, and I had something like 2000 fish at the end of the year. They were really fun to watch in 30g tanks to the 60g containers but when I put males in smaller tanks like 10g they would get really bored and destructive. Some would tear decorations apart and most removed the eyes from their tankmates. The males also beat up the females in less than a 4' long tank or the 60g containers. They are beautiful and hardy but can be extremely agressive. A few people have them in groups or community tanks but most of the time these turn out to all be females. I would suggest males only be kept alone in a 20g or larger tank with sturdy fish like plecos or fast fish they can't catch like danios and some tetras. Females can be kept in small groups and with a wider variety of fish but again I'd recommend a 20g or larger because of how active and curious they are. They really appreciate space and lots of decorations to explore. They would make a great fish if you wanted to setup an indoor low tech pond. Just make sure you don't keep them with any fin nippers or other labyrinth fish like bettas and gouramis.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies