Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe5 Aga for Cherry Reds
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Sorry I have to pull a Wings on yeah. Wings, tempting offer on the CRS.
Hey! I am known for something around here! Just let me know if you want some shrimp. It would be my first shrimp ship but I think I know how to do it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 14:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Looking at the slide show zooms in and our made me dizzy

I think if you click on a pic in the slideshow it will go to still images of the album.

Wings, thanks I'll let you know about the shrimpsters...

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2007 16:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2007 22:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
A little beach action!

I actually expected a surf board,

Anyway, I think the beach makes the tank look smaller than the full green area. Somehow, the rocks seem larger (and what is that gray rock on the right?) than before as well.

Otherwise, still looking rather large for a 5G, and healthy on top of it. Did you strip some Riccia of some of the smaller rocks?

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 01:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Anyway, I think the beach makes the tank look smaller than the full green area. Somehow, the rocks seem larger (and what is that gray rock on the right?) than before as well.

I think the gray rock isn't as "water aged" as the other ones so it appears lighter.

Otherwise, still looking rather large for a 5G, and healthy on top of it. Did you strip some Riccia of some of the smaller rocks?

Actually the smaller rocks were taken out of the 72g where the rocks had been somewhat shaded. They should green up nicely within a week or so. This tank for some reason is very difficult to photograph. I don't know if it's the curved cheap acrylic or what, but it looks really good in real life.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 02:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
but it looks really good in real life

I know how that feels tetratech, I also think that the distortion form the curved acrylic and the surface of the water do not favor the tank's true look.

So, how often do you change the layout of this tank, at least partially?

And how often do you have to trim the Riccia?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 13:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
So, how often do you change the layout of this tank, at least partially?

Well let's see, the tanks been up since Mid March and I've changed it about 4 times, although none have been complete changes just moving some stuff around or replacing rock for the wood, etc.

And how often do you have to trim the Riccia?

I haven't yet, so that riccia's been growing in there for about 2 1/2 months. Obviously much slower than in the 72g.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 17:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
That's a nice low tech low maint tank then. I'm jealous. Nice work tetratech

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 21:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
I really like the looks of that little tank. It's hard to believe it's only a 5g itty bitty thing. I'm just wondering whether evaporation isn't a big issue? The volume isn't that big and with a lamp right on the surface and no hood to speak off I can imagine that the water level drops considerably over a few nights? I just have to look at my own 65g tank and even with the top of the tank covered for 95% with glass, I can still see a lot of water evaporation, with the waterline dropping nearly an inch per week (I do have a couple of fans active there to get the heat out of the hood, they take a lot of the water out). Do you top it off every other day or so?
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 22:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Thanks for the comments Dr. Bonke and Matty. Well the tank is in my kitchen within a few feet of my big tank, so I usually just take a large cup of water and top it off whenever I start to hear the HOB waterfall, but it's pretty much good for a week between topping.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 03:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Just out of curiosity, tetratech:

Once you add sand to a tank, I assume the only way to revert back to a full set of the partial substrate would be a complete substrate redo, is that right?

I agree, in particular for a low low low maintenance tank this one is a beauty

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 13:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Once you add sand to a tank, I assume the only way to revert back to a full set of the partial substrate would be a complete substrate redo, is that right?

Not necessarily, if your able to keep the two substrates separate via rocks, etc. you can just suck out the sand with a thin hose and replace with the original substrate. Also bottom dwellers that dig will mix the substrates somewhat as my kuhli loaches do.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 14:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
ah, makes sense

So, you divide your substrate from the sand with rocks all the way to the bottom of the tank?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 15:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
So, you divide your substrate from the sand with rocks all the way to the bottom of the tank?

Now that being said, you will still get some mixing as I said from bottom dwellers and if your not careful during maintenance, etc. The kuhlis are the worst they poke through every hole between the rocks like eels and mix/stir things up. I clean my sand up once a week with a small hose as mentioned. The pool filter sand is so cheap that I have a bag in the garage and I just add more to freshen it up, as does all the advanced scapers before a photo op, so you get to see their pristine beachfronts.

O.K., here's another tweak and I'm pretty happy with it. I might experiment with a more grassy background plant. and yes it's pool filter sand.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquarium-pictures/files/1/8/9/5/IMG_9714crop_original.jpg

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 15:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
You really didn't have to change much to make it much better. I really like it. The picture is much easier to see too!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 11:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Ah,

Very nice, that is a sweet picture and even the counter top seems to fit in the overall arrangement. Lot's of depth, the big rock in the left back does not seem to be "behind" the scene, the beach looks good, all done!

Now, have you considered an even "thinner" stem plant for your forest on the left? Nothing specific comes to mind here though.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 13:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Very nice, that is a sweet picture and even the counter top seems to fit in the overall arrangement. Lot's of depth, the big rock in the left back does not seem to be "behind" the scene, the beach looks good, all done!

One of the ancillary benefits of having granite in the kitchen. You could match it to the rocks in your tank.
Anyway the additional rocks on the right I think really made the beach area more attractive and provided the extra detail.

Now, have you considered an even "thinner" stem plant for your forest on the left? Nothing specific comes to mind here though.

It's gonna have to be something really easy to maintain, maybe a tall chain sword or something, not sure yet.

Funny thing is I really didn't intend on starting this tank. I had so much riccia that I just took it out of the garage and threw in some clippings of rotala and it's just evolved.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 14:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Tetratech , wow what a sensational little tank . Its given me some ideas about how I can convince the wife to let me have more tanks I love the scape as well very classy .
Garry
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 16:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
thanks Garry,

Here's the latest pic of the tank. Although I might change the background plant in the near future for now I added moer rotala to the right as well.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquarium-pictures/files/1/8/9/5/IMG_9865crop2_original.jpg

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I like it. Very nice!

I think the rotala on the right really added something that was missing.

Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 18:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
I think the rotala on the right really added something that was missing.

I think it adds to the 3-dimensionality of the tank, if that is a word,

Yup, looking sharp tetratech. I see the transition of this tank from once beeing flat (left to right) to great differences in height, this gives it the appearance of being even larger (increase of action surface).

What other plant for the right side do you have in mind?

Ingo

EDIT: This was the 100th post in this log. Remember the times when this seemed to be something special ?

Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 12:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Thanks for those comments guys, not bad for an APCer

Yeah, I agree. I think without a physical reference it would be tough to tell what size tank this is. One thing I realize about my tanks is that I enjoy working with rock more than wood. I think probably because of it's ability to create great height and depth differences. Ideally the background plant would have finer leaves the rotala's are a bit big, but I really did make this tank from 72g leftovers, since I had so much Riccia. Speaking of Riccia I haven't trimmed it yet in this tank. One thing I'm glad is the riccia is growing slowly and staying very clean, although the young guppies are starting to mature and will probably start to do their thing, which will change the balance in the tank. Anyone want some 5th generation fancy tetratech guppies. Tetra Guppies

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 13:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
not bad for an APCer

True! And, unlike at APC, comments are not limited to one-liners saying things like "I like the tank" or "it's beautiful"

Nah, not taker for the Tetra Guppies here . Actually, if you ever wanted to put some specific fish into this tank then I would say either male Endlers or - if you wait a while until breeding is more successful and nature is no longer endangered - of course Galaxies.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 13:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EDIT: This was the 100th post in this log. Remember the times when this seemed to be something special

Sorry I missed that. Yes, it's been almost two years since we started our logs that by the way still dominate this site. So some of the young guns out there have a lot of work to do.

Yes, of course I agree it is more of a conversational tone here, but you can only have a conversation with people unless you like talking to yourself or your going insane.

I never see the really small fish, how about the micro rasboras or Boraras Maculatus

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 13:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The micro rasboras would be nice in there too. You could try the Celestial Pearl Danios (TFH). From the sounds of things they are not too hard to breed. With all the riccia in the bottom of the tank some of the eggs might make it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 14:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Microrasbora sp. galaxy = Celestial Pearl Danios

The fish has been renamed recently and got its own classification.

Another nice microrasbora seems to be Microrasbora erythromicron, although I don't remember seeing this one at the LFSs or if I did then they must have looked rather pale. That is what I find with most tiny fish, they are not colorful or have any other character.

Boraras maculatus seems ok though.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 14:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The fish has been renamed recently and got its own classification.
What is it really now? CPD? or Rasbora?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2007 14:27Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wings,

You may want to take a look at This Site

In short, Celestial pearl danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) is the current name.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2007 15:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
LF,

Here's a closeup of the pool filter sand in my 5g as well as one of the TetraGuppies. Sure you don't want a few.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2188276750048205226CRLFJq

And here's a room shot of the tank. It's located in a little drybar area if you walk through from right to left you end up in my kitchen where you will encounter the 72G.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2567116670048205226XAvknY

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2007 16:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

I do really understand how nice it is, but that is not the problem. The problem is the existing gravel, which I would find repulsive after adding the Pool Filter Sand.

And the Tetra Guppies are very nice. So - if you take my LF Platies then I take your Tetra Guppies. Deal?

The location of the Nano shows nicely the True size of the tank, it looks very nice at that spot.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2007 17:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I do really understand how nice it is, but that is not the problem. The problem is the existing gravel, which I would find repulsive after adding the Pool Filter Sand.

You are talking about the 125g where most of the existing substrate is covered, right. Of course below the plant line in the front you will see the gravel underneath, but I don't think that's an issue. So it sound like your O.K. with the eco next to the sand because of a similiar grain size but not your gravel in the 125g, right?

And the Tetra Guppies are very nice. So - if you take my LF Platies then I take your Tetra Guppies. Deal?
Thanks, there just intermixed fancy guppies, but it's always interesting to see the mosaic of colors that develop, always different. You know when I was younger I was so into live-bearers. I used to have platys, guppies and every conceivable molly I cut get my hands on. Always had a soft spot for mollies sense they didn't eat their young. I used to love the big sailfin ones. Who know's maybe I'll do the livebearer tank again (yes, Dear, no more tanks, I understand.........NOT!)

The location of the Nano shows nicely the True size of the tank, it looks very nice at that spot.

Thanks yeah I think the 5g works better their than the 12g did.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2007 20:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
So it sound like your O.K. with the eco next to the sand because of a similiar grain size but not your gravel in the 125g, right?

Right, and if I should ever replace the gravel in the 125 with some different stuff, Eco or something like it, then I would for sure like to add this type of fine sand. For now, some larger grained whitish stuff has to be found.

yes, Dear, no more tanks, I understand.........NOT!

- Sounds all too familiar

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2007 23:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Along with the plants for the 46g I also received some shrimps. Here's a pic of one on the rock in my 5g.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2721597240048205226THJkRJ

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 15:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
And here's another one full of eggs. Taken at night with a flashlight.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2785200970048205226UGReuY

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hm,

Your links don't seem to work for me:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /463/2/0/97/2785200970048205226UGReuY_fs.jpg on this server.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 15:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Sorry, try them now.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 15:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Ahhhh,

You soon will have a hole farm of them. So, what happened? I thought you didn't have any males? Did you get some extras?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 16:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
You soon will have a hole farm of them. So, what happened? I thought you didn't have any males? Did you get some extras?

No, when I ordered the plants I also ordered a dozen or so Cherries? Since discovering the eggs I've removed the 5 young guppies and they are doing nicely in the 72g. Go forth and multiple

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 17:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
You will find it doesn't take long for them to start to take over. I started with less than 5 in my 2G and when I took it down a few months later I had 19 adults and many babies. This was in less than ideal conditions too. I don't even want to know how many I have in the 40G!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 15:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
You will find it doesn't take long for them to start to take over. I started with less than 5 in my 2G and when I took it down a few months later I had 19 adults and many babies. This was in less than ideal conditions too. I don't even want to know how many I have in the 40G!
Your right, I just found another one with Eggs. This could be good timing as I start popping them into the 46g in a few weeks.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 21:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I think I'm working on 50+ in my 5.5g right now. I hardly even do water changes . There's quite a bit more surface area, I can see them getting towards 100 or more in there.

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 17:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I think I'm working on 50+ in my 5.5g right now.
I must say that's a little crazy! That is a lot of shrimp in a small tank. Do you feed them well?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 18:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yeah, I glance over there and see a few shrimpsters jumpin' around. If I look real hard I generally forget which ones I already counted around 30.

I feed them a dusting of flakes every day and there's a load of plants in there. They always take care of however much flake I put in there very quickly.

Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2007 21:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies