AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Amazon Sword Babies - what to do with them???
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAmazon Sword Babies - what to do with them???
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
I planted an Amazon Sword about a month ago and it now has three "babies". What am I supposed to do with them? Cut them and replant? Leave them?
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 03:32Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
As you said "babies" assuming this I would guess that they are very small. Growing from the parent plant there is a fine thread like cord that is connected to each of the baby plants. When the baby plants establish them selves cut that cord so that the baby plant is totally independent of the mother plant. Now when they get to a size it is then you can replant them, or just leave them and adventually they will send of shoots and them more baby plants.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Wait till they have plenty of roots, cut them off, and sell them to the nearest store with fish. That works fine for me. Got a few free blue rams and replacement pads for my penguin filters that way. Replant some if you want but if you keep replanting them amazon swords can take over even quite large tanks. My big one covered around 1/3rd of my 55g(I wedged rocks around it so it wouldn't take over 1/2) and produced around 3-6babies every few months for 2years. Eventually I sold the mother plant and replanted the babies because I moved my tanks and didn't want to have to replant that huge root system. The only thing it fit in to get it to the lfs was a garbage bag.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 20:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
My "babies" are now about 3 inches tall.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 15:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies