Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCO2 in my planted 55 gal.
justin84
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 30
Votes: 20
male usa
I have been using a DIY Co2 kit and i have just recently ordered my own. Its not in yet but i dont know how much Co2 to put in my tank. I ordered THIS ONE. What do you think?

55gal Tank:130 watt coral lights,Eheim Wet/Dry 2227 Canister Filter,Powerhead, Co2 Injection and a heater.
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 00:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
The product is ok Justin, but I am a little confused by the core question you raise, as in "how much Co2 to put in my tank".

I would suggest that you read up on the various current approaches that people have with regards to CO2 addition, the web should offer loads of info there (and, if you have a specific question, I am more than glad to try to help out myself).

Why did you switch from the DIY to the pressurized version in the first place (I think I know the answer)? What are you trying to achieve with the new system? What are your tank specs, as in lights, ferts, fish, plants, substrate, and anything else that comes to mind?

Hope this helps a little in getting us started,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2007 13:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
justin84
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 30
Votes: 20
male usa
Why did you switch from the DIY to the pressurized version in the first place (I think I know the answer)? What are you trying to achieve with the new system? What are your tank specs, as in lights, ferts, fish, plants, substrate, and anything else that comes to mind?

I feel that the DIY Co2 doesn't provide enough Co2 for my tank. Tank is 4 foot by 1 foot (give or take an inch or two) and its 55 gallons. 130 watts of light with 6700k, no ferts. Substrate is Florite on the bottom with pea gravel on top (kinda wish i hadn't done that). I've had my tank for almost 6 years or so but i just got into plants. I've had a lot of those fish for over 2 years witch is good for me i guess. I have never seen a Co2 injection in person only online. Thats why i have no idea how much Co2 to inject in a day.

The moneywort is getting a slight yellow tent on the leaves that are close to the lights. Is that just from the lights being to close or do i need to add ferts?

Plants:
Some Moneyworts
Some Dwarf Hairgrass
Some Micro Swords
Some Cabomba
1 Anabus Nana
1 Wisteria
1 Banana Plant

Fish:
6 cories
6 neon tetras
1 gouromi
1 kuhli loach
3 algea eaters (after i bought them i read they get agressive after they get older, prob going to take them back and get some ottos.)
1 guppie
2 zebra danios (i want more but might be over stocked)
3 Cherry barbs

55gal Tank:130 watt coral lights,Eheim Wet/Dry 2227 Canister Filter,Powerhead, Co2 Injection and a heater.
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2007 04:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
Hey Justin,

You've taken the leap to planted tanks with CO2, be ready for things to get a bit more complex than before . DIY CO2 is not completely without merits, and will even have some effect in a tank like the one you have. A slight raise in CO2 levels means that there will be more available to the plants and thus they will grow (a little) better than without CO2. Just keep in mind that the growth increase is a curve and not an on-off switch. More CO2 -> better growth, up to a certain point where it levels off, and beyond that you start getting averse effects.

One thing to keep in mind is that with increased growth also come increased needs. With the relatively high light you now have and the addition of CO2, your plants will metabolize nutrients at a faster rate. If not all are available, growth will slow down and the excess light and CO2 instead will promote growth of those organisms for which nutrients aren't limiting: algae.

The yellowing of the leaves for example can indicate a shortage of Iron. Right now things aren't too bad yet and it doesn't look like you're going to be in trouble any time soon just yet, but you may want to look at some fertilizing schemes.

Best,
Martin
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2007 13:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
justin84,

the Dr. is explaining most of the things I would have said as well, so I will not repeat them here. Instead I will just add some comments/input:

- if you would like to know more about plant deficiencies, look at This Site
- You have quite a few fast growers in the tank, that is pretty good for the current stage as it assures uptake of any possible CO2 you may inject (within reason, of course, and only if the other parameters, namely the ferts, are in sink as well). How well is your tank planted? This means, is there a lot of spare room between them, or is it rather full of plants, or somewhere in between? A photo would explain us the tank best.
- Your current fish stocking is not too full, here are a few comments to that:
* what kind of Gouramie is that?
* If you "dump" the algae eaters and get Otos instead then you actually decrease your load. To stay even you could at least get 2 Otos per 1 algae eater.
* I think you could afford more Zebra Danios, if you wish so. I personally had them in my first tank as they are excellent start-up fishies. Eventually though, I got bored of them. They are way too active and kept the other fish from enjoying a gentle swim through the tank.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2007 13:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies