L# Dying Grass
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDying Grass
KLE
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Hey guys ,new to this forum, been reeding for a couple of weeks.we have a 25g and a 35 g we started in jan this year .our tanks are filled with cheap fish for our kids to prove that they are responsible guppies,platties,neons,wcmm's....I've filled them with plants and the fish breed like crazy.to many plants??I have a grass in the tank that turns brown at the base and dies yet the other grass in other places thrives does any1 know why?thanx in advance
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2007 04:00Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Its probably vallisneria, it needs good lighting, occassional fertilizers, and the base of the plant has to be buried just above the gravel,or the crown rots. Its extremely sensitive to being moved about and replanted. Also it sometimes finds large gravels hard to grow into and gets root compaction.

If you want to keep them alive we'd need to know your water perams, the lights you are using, and if you use any fertiliser.

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2007 04:52Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
It could also be mondo grass, a terrestrial plant that seems to occasionally get sold as an aquatic plant. If it is mondo, then it is just complaining about having to live underwater.

Any chance of a photo? there are a few grass-like plants that get sold as aquatics that would survive for a period and then start to decay. A piccie would make ID much easier

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2007 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 22
Votes: 7
male canada
I've got the same thing happening with some of my tennelus. Some is doing really well and some is turning brown and dying off. I'm guessing that somehow the dying plants were damaged either from something chewing on either them or their roots or it may be damage that I caused during planting. The runners seem to be fine so I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

Whatever the case may be, if the grasses appear to be completly dead then they should probably be pulled so the rotting plant mass won't effect the water quality.

:jay
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2007 23:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies