AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Is there a real advantage to having live plants?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIs there a real advantage to having live plants?
AgentKash
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 12
usa
What is the advantage of having live plants in a tank? Seems as though I mostly hear that the cause more problems then anything. I hear about fish eating the, fish uprooting them, plants making additional waste in your tank, diseases, etc. There must be some advantages to having real plants in your tank. I;m just not sure what they are. Maybe it depends on the type of plant? If I got plants I would get Low to Medium light plants. Do they actucally help improve water quality? Can they increase water quality any better then good filters?

Thanks
~Kash
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 00:58Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
greenfootball
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 360
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by greenfootball
i have always enjoyed having live plants in my tank, in my honest opinion, i think a tank without live plants is just fake and boring.

yes live plants do help with the water parameters, such as lowering nitrate depending on how much plants you have. a lot of people that has HEAVILY planted tanks get VERY little nitrate because of the plants absorb almost all of it.

fish enjoy live plants a lot more compared with plastic or fabric plants. and if you are going to have plants, you have to know what kind of fish will get along with the plants. obviously you cannot keep a lot of the med-large cichlids because they will eat or uproot the plants. most community fish will be perfect for a planted tank. such as tetras, danios, some barbs, corys, most livebearers... etc

people that have trouble with plants are usually ones that leave the plants in the tank to die or rot away which then causes water quality issues. thats a no brainer.

hope this helps.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 01:28Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
AgentKash
-----
Hobbyist
usa
Do they help with water clarity and have any effects on ammonia?
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 01:37Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
greenfootball
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 360
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by greenfootball
i REALLY hope your tank does NOT have ANY ammonia as we speak. unless you just bought the tank a month ago.

i dont think the plants do anything with ammonia, i might be wrong, but you shouldnt worry about ammonia AT ALL because with a mature tank ammonia reading should be 0

it does not do anything for water clarity as far as i know, but it definitely makes your tank more enjoyable and colorful
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 02:24Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Plants utilize ammonia more readily than they do nitrites or nitrates, actually. Plants actually have to convert nitrates back into ammonia for use, if I'm remembering correctly from class. But as mentioned, a healthy tank shouldn't have ammonia anyway.

Some plants are good to help absorb nutrients, which can help compete against algae that may cause green water.

IMO plants are primarily ornamental, but raising healthy plants and having an attractive aquarium is definitely quite satisfying.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 02:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I am far from having any water chemistry degrees but live plants are beneficial.
This info was taken from a Sera guide
The plants help in forming an effective filter in the substrate.
During photosynthesis plants consume carbon dioxide and enrich the water with oxygen.
Plants offer a natural cover for the fish thus reducing stress.
Young fish(fry) use it to protect them selves from hungry occupants.
Fast growing plants help to remove nitrogen-containing pollutants from the day they are planted.

They can be called the green lung for the underwater nature.

Now other than all the chemical reasons they look good and very pleasing to the eye and besides the fish would prefer the natural to the artificial any way.

If you plan a tank well and let the plants do what they want to you will soon discover the tank is starting to have a natural look. If one or two plants start dying or not growing they possibly should not be there any way it is like companion planting first you must find out what works with what eg like same conditions and are compatible to each other.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 04:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
EditedEdited by jase101
i think one of our responsibilities as fishkeepers is to give our fish healthy environments to live in - spacious enough, suiting the requirements of the fish - and what better way to do that than replicate nature? plants are an integral part of the health of any body of water. think seaweed forests, mangroves, freshwater grass fields, pondweed, hyacinth, and countless others - bodies of water without plants of some description do not support life.

living plants facilitate the microcultures in your tank, which are the basis of so many of the essential processes which occur. while plastic plants can host algae and other cultures, they give nothing to the tank - they are inert. live plants, on the other hand, invigorate the substrate, provide valuable food, cover and shelter for the inhabitants. a healthy planted tank is a living garden, a living thing.

justin
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 11:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
AgentKash
-----
Hobbyist
usa
Thanks for the notes regarding plants. I think I'll add some in the next couple week. As far as ammonia goes. I am placing a post in the Water Quality section. Any help there is appreciated.

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 19:26Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
i think a tank without live plants is just fake and boring.

Well, it isn't fake if you choose species that live in an environment that has no plants.

In such a case, you are emulating their natural environment!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2008 05:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
Kudos: 74
Votes: 30
male canada
IMO a tank without live plants is a tank based for cats louches and plecos but if you like top or middle area fish plants inprove the look and as green footbal said "i think a tank without live plants is just fake and boring." i agree completely

33 gallon 7 neon tetras-5 platys-3 bleeding heart tetras-2 corys-1 rainbow shark-2 L83 gibby plecos
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2008 00:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
EditedEdited by wish-ga
Seen photographs of the natural env for Malawi cichlids? It is all rocks and no plants. That is the natural environment of fish from that region. Putting java ferns in with them would be silly.

But there are many species who need to be kept with plants to emulate their natural environment so they feel sheltered and safe in the mid region.

Horses for courses. (or; decor for species)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2008 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JBennett181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 46
Votes: 2
male usa
plants really arenot too difficult to keep just keep them fed and theyll do fine, i prefer the natural look so i defentily want live plants... and like mentioned before they help with water parameters

i like feesh
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2008 02:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies