Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlanting A Tall Tank...
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 22
Votes: 7
male canada
I'm about to go plant shopping for my new tank. It's quite high at 24 inches and from what I've read from you guys so far, it sounds like it's fairly hard to scape these types of tanks.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd love any advice you guys have for me.

Thanks in advance!

Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 02:43Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I would keep well away from a tall tank for plants several reason. Do you have very long arms to do regually work on the tank.
Frank would be able to answer the next part better but the deeper the water the harder and further the light would have to penetrate the depth of water to be of any benifit to the plants.
Scaping would not be a real problem but you would have to be very choosy on the plants you buy I have even seen deep large tanks fantastically done by setting up several levels using large rocks but the cost would not be at the lower end of the scale.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 02:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
Well, as far as light goes, I've got a 4*64 (250w) 6700K coralife fixture that I'm hoping will be enough for the tank. It's kind of rediculous, but the I got a high tank to cover up a fake fireplace cutout in my new home. I didn't want all stand and a low tank, so tall it is. Now the challenge it to make it look good and have my fish enjoy it.

As far as long arms, hehe...i don't mind getting a little wet.

I know it is probably going to cost me a fair bit, and I've kind of resigned myself to that, so here goes

Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 03:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Mate , you can have all the normal plants ,mines 32in deep and I'm not having any great issues . I presume that you have over 2.5 w per gal and you will need to keep the ferts up but you should be ok .
I have Tennulus and Hairgrass doing well . As Keith suggests don't scrimp on the subsatrate , make it a 5in in the back and at least 3in in the front .

Hope that helps

Garry
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 03:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
Wow, countryfish, thats HUGE! I have a similar planting / pruning tool as the one you show in your tank log. How are you finding it for maintaining your tank? Or are you just putting on your scuba suit and jumping right in
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2007 18:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
plankton, The planting tool took some getting used to
Very frustrating trying to not pull the plants back up with the tool .
I had to develop a little twist and a lot of patience .
The cutting part is ok I suppose , but I find it easier to just get wet with a pair of sissors .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2007 12:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
Yep, I hear that! I've been finding that it's just easier to stick my entire arm in the tank and get wet to the shoulder. Not too sure my fish will like that once I stock the tank.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2007 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
just easier to stick my entire arm in the tank and get wet to the shoulder
that's my method too - but I usually wait to do tank maintenance at the same time as a water change. When water is at half mast, that's when I do my major work - that way you don't get so wet.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2007 06:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies