AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Question About Java Fern, Anubias Nana And Fertalized Substrate.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeQuestion About Java Fern, Anubias Nana And Fertalized Substrate.
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 22
Votes: 7
male canada
Quick one that has got me wondering...I'm using a substrate that has fertalizer bonded to it (called florabase). The manufacturer states that I won't need to fertalize for at least 6 months. My question is - with object rooted plants such as java fern and anubias nana, which derive their nutrients from the water rather than the substrate, is it necessary to add liquid ferts to keep them healthy?

This one has me stumped...

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2007 05:18Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
My 5ft tank is about 99% large Anubias and I use 15ml of a LFS own brand liquid fert weekly.
The Betta tank 32lt I use Seachem liquids weekly and one fert tablet every three months, and that is full of Anubias nana and serrated Java fern plus small crypts. The plant require a good fert weather they are in the substrate or not.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2007 09:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
But if they are not planted in the substrate, are the ferts that have been bonded with the substrate going to make it to the nana's and ferns? If I add a liquid fertalizer, will i not be over fertalizing the tank?

Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2007 16:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I am far from an expert on water plant ferts. But refering to garden plants you can certainly over fert them and this shows by burnt leaves. Many plant growers use both a garden fert and a leaf fert as well but as in all ferts it must be done correctly.

Now saying all that the ferts in the substrate would be mainly benifical to the rooted plants which I have in the Betta tank (small Crypts nevilii) The other plants the anubias nana and the serrated Java fern have a fine root system which is not burried in the substrate but it does send roots into the substrate. It also takes in the ferts through their leaves.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2007 04:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
plankton
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
Got this one figured out if anybody is interested. I emailed red sea and got a reply yesterday. It seems that florabase will keep roots both in the substrate and out happily fed for about 6 months with no need to fertalize. In fact they suggest against it. The top layer of the substrate releases enough nutrient to feed all the object rooted plants.

The tank has been planted for about three weeks now and everything is looking good - except for the vals (which melted due to the addition of excel.)

Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2007 18:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies