AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Should carbon and polyfilter be removed from planted tank??
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeShould carbon and polyfilter be removed from planted tank??
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
I finally took the plunge and have begun experimenting with aquatic plants. So far I have a huge Amazon Sword and a few Jungle Vals. I have read that iron and/or copper based plant food is good for my new inhabitants, however, would not my water conditioner counteract the metals in the plant food? Also, wouldn't carbon and/or polyfilter remove the plant food as soon as it is added?

Input please
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2006 23:04Profile PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
rasboramary,

As usual, it all depends, at least in my humble opinion.

About the conditioner: I think that there are conditioners out there that go beyond simply removing chlorine and chloramines, they also remove (bind) nitrates and what not (I think phosphates as well). These conditioners would not be good for a planted tank as they would remove two of the 3 macros that plants need (the other one would be potassium). I use Prime, an excellent conditioner with no other funtionalities attached to it.

About the Carbon: Various people swear that at least during the initial setup phase of a planted tank carbon in the filter is a good idea, supposedly even Amano does that (I heard it from tetratech). I, on the other hand, have no experience with carbon in my high tech or 20G QT planted tanks, I had it for a while in my first tank, a 29G planted, but I did know little about a possible relationship between carbon and nitrate (and/or micros) removal at that time so I can't tell. Certain filter materials seem to remove goodies for the plants though, albeit carbon or even Purigen are not supposed to be on that list (but don't ask me what is).

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 04-Jun-2006 23:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
Thank you - especially the part about Prime. I have never heard of it but will certainly look for it. I appreciate your input.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 03:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
You are welcome rasboramary

When looking into Prime and its price tag you may be thinking that it is rather expensive when compared to other dechlorinators, but don't be fooled by this initial observation.

Prime is highly intensive stuff and a very small amount is needed to treat your tank. For example, I use 10ml (which is already a little more than required) to treat 60G of new water for my 125G tank.

In short, the same sized bottle of Prime will last much longer than any other conditioner and as such be effectively cheaper per treatment than the others.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 10:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies