SubscribeTheresa_M 2.5g log
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Np.

In any case, for the glosso, if you want an even mat, you'll probably be wanting to plant indivdual plantlets several mms away from one another. However, if you're lazy like me, you could just bury whole strands of the stuff, though with the latter method, you get black areas that take longer to fill in. Either way, though, the substrate will eventually be covered.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 09:57Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Being a small tank, how deep should the gravel be?
Depends on the plants. If you select plants that have a larger root system then you need a higher gravel base, if not then about 1 inch should be sufficient.
Would it be sloped evenly around the entire tank or a bit higher towards the back
Anyway you like it best
I have definitely decided on is glosso
Cups advice is right on, I also was too lazy to separate the strings I got and just planted them in the open gravel (BTW, don't get frustrated if it takes a few attempts until it stays down). Eventually they will fill in, and then some (I removed mine from my big tank as they became 5 layers deep and unmanagable - I waited too long with the trimming).
How many plants should I purchase to start with
Depends on how easily you can get it in the first place. I believe that I started with one pack only as the online retailer didn't have more of it.
is it best to do all the planting at once
A big YES, at least in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 11:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Finalizing the list this weekend...deciding between riccia or fontinallis to grow on the driftwood, any opinions?

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2006 04:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Riccia is going to be a pain in the ### to get under control in such a small tank--eventually, it will grow over the hairnet or whatever you tie it down with, detach itself, and float up in chunks.
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2006 05:54Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
I placed my plant order last night: glosso, E. tenellus, and HM, hopefully they'll be here by the end of the week.

Fontinallis was sold out, so I decided to go with Java fern on the wood, along with a bit of Java moss. Here are some pics from last night working on that:

And a very quick shot of the tank as it is now. The only thing I'm unsure of are the pebble stones, I'll have to play around with arranging them more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2006 09:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Spaced emu
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 45
Votes: 5
male malta
The stones look fine you might just want to add a couple more
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2006 14:28Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Looking nice so far

I like the shot where you add water to the tank and let it run over your hand in order not to disturb the substrate. Good idea

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2006 15:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Thanks

That's something I've always done, even with water changes.

Still waiting on the plant order...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2006 15:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Very cool set-up Theresa, I'm jealous

My only comment would maybe be to put the stones more around the base of the DW, rather than in the corner. Just my opinion anyway, it's all amatter of personal preference.

I'm curious to see the kidn of growth you'll get with this set-up.

Also, what do you think of the palm filter? I've been doing a test run on my 2.5gal with some clippings and moss, and the palm seems a little noisy to me.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2006 16:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Nowher which palm do you have? I have the Azoo 60 and I honestly can't hear a thing. Sometimes they run quieter with the cover off.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2006 17:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Some one. Maybe I didn't put it together right... gotta check that out tonight. Thanks though.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2006 18:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Theresa,
Nice little setup.

I'll give you my 2 cents, but please keep in mind this is based on what I see and there is no right or wrong.

The tank looks kinda busy because you have multicolored gravel and multicolored rocks. I think this might take away from the nice piece of wood and plants you are going to work in. I too would put the rocks closer to the base and cover some of them with moss to downplay them alittle.

I like the positioning of the wood, but from the pic it almost looks like it's leaning against the side of the tank. I don't think it is, but it might be if your going by the pic.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2006 23:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Also, what do you think of the palm filter?

I've found it to be very quiet, especially since it's in our bedroom.

I messed around with the rocks, first separating them and going with only one color. I also liked the idea of having the rocks closer to the wood.

So my plant order arrived...great, except that the only plant not sold out for this tank was the glosso Also it arrived the evening before I was to pick up my kids so it spent ~24 hours in a pitcher of water. Surprisingly-at least to me-that didn't seem to affect it.

That next evening I did planted it very quickly. What I found difficult was keeping it anchored with the small amount of gravel in the tank. Played around with the rocks a bit to help with that and it's stayed down very well, even with my betta weaving his way thru it (new game it seems )

In retrospect the only thing I would've done differently so far is order the yellow kit instead of the blue, and even that I'm not 100% sure of. I don't mind the blue base, the the blue light is definitely blue-in the evening it gives off the same type/coloring of light as a tv.

Now I have to see what plants are available at lfs, something to put in the back.

Quick photo I took a few days ago:

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 17:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Theresa

I think it looks very nice already.

Also, the blue base doesn't bother me and seems to go very well with the blue Beta, very balanced.

Let's hope you find some nice plants at the LFS to make the tank even prettier than it already is. Try to make sure that you stick with small leaved plants as right now you for sure are creating the impression of a large tank and it would be a shame if you lose that aspect.

Good luck, and keep us posted,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 17:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Looking nice Theresa Any plans to put something on the back of the tank to help conceal the HOB? But, not sure if that would possibly take away from the appearance of it being a larger tank than it is.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 18:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Looks Good

In retrospect the only thing I would've done differently so far is order the yellow kit instead of the blue

Paint it!

If you buy the correct paint, you could take that light apart and paint it black as well the blue base.

As far as the hob, eventually it could get hidden with the right growth on the wood. You could also hang it on the left side so it will not be in direct view of the focal point.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 19:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Spaced emu
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 45
Votes: 5
male malta
It is looking unbeliveable my 2.5 looks ........ likea 2.5 but yours looks huge in comparison
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 19:16Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 168
Votes: 1
male usa
You have enough glosso to cover an entire 10 gallon, you need to seperate the glosso plantlets, at least by 3 or so plantlets, and individualy plant these. If you leave it like it is now, it will surely die or grow fugly, yes, fugly.
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 03:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
Thats a great aquarium looks really good.

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 04:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Well, I think it's time to re-think my plans. I separated the glosso plantlets but it's not doing well at all

So I'm back to step 1 and trying to figure out what I want to do; these are some rough ideas I came up with:

-I've had good luck with C. wendtii in the past, I was thinking of removing the wood and basically filling the tank with it...maybe in sort of a 'U' shape with a small open are in the front/center?

-Leave the wood, replace the glosso-planned areas with very small A. nana which I already have

-Research into terrarium/marginal plants for something that will grow out of the tank

Any comments or other suggestions would be very much appreciated

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 15:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Theresa,

Can you specify what you mean by "... but it's not doing well at all "? That could give us some idea where a problem may be (ferts, light, or something).

Personally, I think Wendtii leaves will be too big for the tank, and so will a regular sized Nana. Your small one may be nice, but over time it will grow as well. Nana Petite is really nice, but $$$ and you would need a few to make an impact.

I would say that, if your light is not an issue, then Amano Pearl Grass could work very well. And I would also not remove the wood, it looks very nice.

Awaiting the Glosso info,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 15:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
EditedEdited by Theresa_M
Ok here are a few pics I just took; remember though that it's tank cleaning day so be kind

I would best describe the plants as not having good color, and many leaves that appear to be thin and browing which I assume means they're dying? I'm afraid if I try to pull those particular stems-even with tweezers-that I'll end up pulling healthy parts of the plants as well.

The tank light is on ~10 hours a day. It's also located near a curtained window which I can utilize if necessary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 16:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Theresa,

I cannot really tell from the pictures (and I am not a Glosso expert per say either) but it appears as if there is some brown algae (diatoms) mixed in with the plants. That is not bad and will go away eventually, but it doesn't help with light reaching the Glosso either.

I got serious yellowing of leaves on my Glosso when it grew too thick and I am assuming you have a similar issue. Your growth form is vertical which happens when there is not enough light (or space, maybe as well) to grow flat. And when there are too many stems too close to each other then a light source that may be strong enough for a single layer could be not enough for depth penetration and as such the lower parts of the stems start to die. I believe you received it already this way, right?

Maybe one option would be to try to lay a few of these stems flat on the ground (you can hold it down with a piece of gravel) and see if it starts to creep along the substrate.

I have to say that I don't know if this works as I removed my Glosso once it was 5 layers deep and various ends started to grow up in the fashion you have yours now.

Hope this helps a little,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 18:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
With a plant that spreads the way glosso does you're not going to see its true form until it starts propigating itself. Is it possible that this is just emersed growth? Even if it isn't grown this way. often the original plant piece you bought will die off anyway and be replaced by new growth.

Personally I've never seen such tall glosso, that's what I thought when you planted it. I figured it had to be just an unusual growth form. To keep it as low as we picture it in our heads, especially on a small tank, a light upgrade may be required.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 21:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
I guess it's time for an update on this tank...

I got very frustrated with the glosso so that went and now it's a java fern-only tank.

The plants are growing quite well, I've had to move some to another tank because the poor betta was running out of open swim space.

Here is a recent photo of the tank. Any suggestions on changes?

And is there any way I can encourage upwards growth of the java fern?

Thanks

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2007 20:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
Excellent Theresa, really really great job

Looks like what's been going on in my 4G

IME java fern kind of does what it wants. Brighter light and more open space may encourage it to grow larger, but I think it looks fantastic as is. If it grew any further vertically I don't think your betta would have much room to swim.

And kudos on changing out the glosso. For this tank it didnt seem like the right plant for the job. The java layout has turned out very well.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2007 21:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

So.............. that's java fern! Looks good, so bright & green!
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2007 22:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Do you think it needs a background?

Did a bit of cleaning and thinning today so here's a quick shot:

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 01:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Wow, that looks great Theresa. I agree that if you got the java fern to grow taller it wouldn't look as good.

I think it would look great with a solid color background on there.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 05:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Any thoughts about background color? I think it needs one but I'm concerned about making the tank too dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 19:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
I actually think it looks great without a background. If you want something light, any color poster board will do.

If I were you I'd stick to something white/ off-white. Black would lessen the contrast of the driftwood and the leaves, and I'm not crazy about blue under any circumstance but that's just me

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 20:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Very nice little tank ! It will be interesting to see this grow out, especially when more plants are added.

Hahaha you gave in and got some moss

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2007 00:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Thats a really nice home you've made for your betta. Regarding background, I always prefer one and I always prefer black. I never think a black background makes a tank too dark - rather, I think it brings out the colours of your fish & plants.

Very nice job Theresa

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2007 01:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Quick shot with the background...I found some left-over from another tank, just a neutral rock-pattern.

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2007 00:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
Theresa_M,

This is a very beautiful betta tank. I believe the rock background is perfect for that aquarium. The plants contrast with it so well.

JBE
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 05:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Theresa_M,

Have you thought of a white background? The rock seems so dark and the wood just disappears. The java ferns seem to float on the wall.

I like the shots of the tank without the background as you can see the wood and plants real well. If you had a white background you could see everything nicely with out the cords and filter showing. Maybe you could use a piece of poster board?

The tank looks very healthy and am sure the Betta is loving his place.

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 18:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Well I did some changes again....

I ended up taking out the wood to use in my 30g and added a different piece. I think it opens up the tank a bit more

The betta got some new tankmates today, very small rasboras. I dropped in some floating anacharis to give them additional hiding places. Hopefully he'll get used to the new fish and I can take it out.

I'm not sure what I want to do with the wood though. It already has a small piece of java fern attached but that can be removed. I got a small bunch of java moss today that I kind of stuck in the middle hole. I'm thinking of attaching it to the wood, but not exactly sure where...just on top, in the holes, all over?

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2007 00:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
female usa us-maryland
Quick shot taken after water change today. Yes I've been re-arranging again...

Attached Image:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2007 19:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
I really like the tank as you had it setup just prior to this latest photo. Made the appearance of the tank larger than it is. Nice job.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2007 23:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
I really like the tank as you had it setup just prior to this latest photo.

I agree, that shot looks really good. I'm gonna do a 5g like this one of these days with a betta and a couple ADF's so I'll probably steal some of your ideas.

Also, I looked at the first few posts of this thread and you didn't mention anything about a heater and I don't see one in the pictures either. Are you not using one?
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2007 22:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies