AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Yet another snail Question-Articles Please!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeYet another snail Question-Articles Please!
harleysiber
---------------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 554
Votes: 47
female usa
Grrrrrrrrrrr. That should be all I have to say, right??

I don't know where those guys came from, either the lfs attached to one plant, or the online store, attched to many plants. But they're multiplying!!!

I've heard of the "meat" strategy, and using potassium permanganate, but are there any other tricks to get rid of those pesky little things? I've got two rubber nose plecos, and I want to keep them safe.

Where are there good, I mean really good articles on getting rid of the buggers for good?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:43Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
harleysiber

To start of with required is size of tank and what is in there?

There are several fish that will the job and you will never see a snail again. But this will depend on tour tank.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
harleysiber
---------------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 554
Votes: 47
female usa
10 g, only a few months old (plants not well-established yet). Only fish are 2 rubbernose plecos.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
harleysiber

Sorry I cannot help as I do not know of a small fish that could do that job. Some other member should be able to assist you.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Cory_Di
---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 2917
Votes: 25
female usa
Take some kind of small conainter and poke a bunch of holes in the bottom and on the sides. Put some zucchini in there overnight. When you get up, just pull out the little tub and the water will spill through the holes and discard. It's not getting rid of them entirely, but a form of control

The real deal is prevention.

Preventing snails is easy. Always assume there are eggs or snails on any plant you get. Soak it in a gallon of water and a Tbsp of ordinary kitchen alum, found in the spice aisle of the grocery store. I keep larger bottles at home . I use conditioned water, but you could even use water from a water change, then add the alum. Never put alum directly into your tank. Usually overnight is enough, but I had one case of eggs that I was watching and it took nearly 3 days for them to dissolve away. Snails die off fast, but the eggs can take time. I thought for every set of eggs I could see, there were likely more that I could not see.

I use Jungle's Clear water as a followup for parasites and bacteria. It is potassium permangenate. I put enough into a gallon of conditioned water to make it dark purple. 10 minutes is good enough. Conditioner should be added about 15-30 minutes ahead of the potassium permangenate otherwise it can be deactivated. Active PP is purple. Inactive is brown. If you get brown water, you get to start over

I run all plants through this process, except Valisneria. I chose to quarantine my val after reading how sensitive it could be to many treatments. It spent about 4 weeks in there, packed in flourite and basking in a nice grow light. I never did get snails, but had it happened, the tank was scheduled to be broken down anyway. Most parasites cannot live that long without a host.

Last edited by Cory_Di at 22-Mar-2005 22:44
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies