---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Approve

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2008 13:08Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Approve
Good, I have 5 myself. Spot on.

Just a couple of things. Not sure "substrate spawner" really covers it as mine chose purely flat rocks, as have other peoples, substrate to me says "gravel" and theyre unlikely to do that. object would have to be immovable and cleanable. Breeding uaru is tricky, and while substrate perhaps conceivably might comprise rock, it pays to be specific.

Shy they are, but also strident about food sources, my uaru and severums can be combatative and temporarily territorial around plant based foods like lettuce leaves, and there is generally a pecking order in a shoal of uaru about to feed, smaller fish can be excluded, so perhaps thats a feeding tip - multiple food sources. Perhaps also worth noting that because their lips are "beakier" and harder than average, when they do fight wounds can be serious despite the timid disposition.

Also worth noting their growth rate is radical , mine went from this, no bigger than a keyhole cichlid...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/fish021.jpg

to this...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/uaru.jpg

to this..basically a 6 inch fish in three months, literally double the growth rate of a severum, making smaller aquaria a complete waste of time, successional tanksizes are probably best avoided, go straight for the large sizes..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/fish331.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/fish332.jpg

They do dwarf badly , far worse than angelfish if kept in small aquaria in their formative months. In the first 6 months of life they must basically never be denied food, youd have to be trying seriously hard to overfeed one.

I bought a further 3 from the same generation as the first two, but months later, they were hardly grown and a third of the size of the two I took on originally. Heres a pic of one of these taken at a similar timeframe as the last pic showing a grown uaru. These fish are the same age.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/longhairedgit/fish337.jpg

Its also been very difficult to get these three fish catching up to their bros, breaking the dwarfing factor seems to be extremely difficult. A month in from ownership they are only just starting to grow again. Motto being, get em young before someone else or a shop underfeeds em and mucks up their metabolism. I have actually had to keep the latter purchases seperate from the first two because they would not be able to compete with them either for food or socially.Hopefully they can be reunited into a full family shoal in around another 2 months. The perception will be one of them being a bit like discus socially, but if anything I think they are a little more competetive than that, and since bites are not the mere pecks of a discus and have injury consequences, that has to be factored in when building shoals. The larger fish are now taking an approximately 75% intake of veg component in the diet, the smaller are ones are on about 50/50 split to induce a bit of growth catchup.

The heads up on plant destruction is good to mention but you could take it further. These guys make dollars look like amateurs when it comes to plant destruction. Mine have plant fare available most of the time, but they still totally destroy even tough plants. I think uaru need plants, but its on the understanding that they are an enrichment item, rather than viable cover, purely sacrificial. Cover plants would probably have to be fakes.

Overall though , its a pass, it will help people to keep their uaru correctly , amendments for detail can be done later.

Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2008 22:43Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
Approve

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2008 11:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Approve
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2008 03:34Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
T'Ark'An'Ni Ak'Kan
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 119
Votes: 34
male australia
Approve
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 15:53Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies