L# Update: Astronotus ocellatus; Field: Care
SubscribeUpdate: Astronotus ocellatus; Field: Care
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Learned from others. I first thought that they would go in a 55 gallon.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2007 02:46Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
i think that 120 gallons minumum is a bit over the top. im not going to reject yet, but im pretty sure 75 gallons would be a much better minimum.
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2007 04:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Hmm tricky one.Im sat here looking at a 55 gal thinking...yeah I probably could keep an adult oscar alive in that.It might not be happy, but it would live, especially if you had a large filter and decent aeration, but youd have to do a lot of water changes. A 75 would be better of course, totally doable but hardly luxurious. A 120 is nice and I'd choose to go for that, but is 120 a minimum? I know cal usually makes sense in the forums and i'm all for giving fish big tanks but im really torn here.Im pretty sure more than one oscar could go in a 120, I mean sure, its a big fish, but it isnt a giant gourami, its a 1 foot fish, and one specimen hasnt really got anything to be territorial about, and most plants will be torn up anyway so their isnt much intrusion into its personal space....major consideration is trying to keep the water changes to about 20% or less so youre talking a fish with a mediocre metabolism.. but it is primarily a predator given the choice, and that means nasty poo full of ammonia when it breaks down.......and surface area is negotiable depending on the equipment you have... water has to be clean to avoid hexamita....15-20 gal water swapout per week...at least a five to six footer to be humane for swimming space...

Settle on 90 - 100 gal and call it even for a full size adult with no cagemates?
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2007 06:08Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Jason_R_S

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 2421
Votes: 391
male usa us-indiana
Reject
IMO just saying "a very large tank" is sufficient. none of the other profiles (at least none I've read) have an actual size mentioned as a minimum.
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2007 10:44Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Adam

---------------
---------------
----------
Administrator
male australia au-queensland
Reject
This is precisely the reason we dont list minimum tank sizes, no one can agree.
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2007 13:59Profile PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies