Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
EditedEdited by Garofoli
Hello,
Can someone Please recommend some different brands or maybe even models of a canister filter for a 29g Tank? Thanks.

PS. Could this model turn back on if the power went out?

Chris
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2007 22:33Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
do a search on canisters. we've gone around and around on this many times. but there are many options and things to look for. major key is to make sure it is rated for a 30g or higher. as you need a good amount of filtration.

but myself, i have had alot of luck with my Odyssea, penn-plax ( i have 2) and my latest magnum HOT (canister that hangs on the back of the filter)

and yes, any filter will turn back on if the power goes out. as would any other appliance or light or anything that was on before the power went out. others who are more experienced will go alot further on both of these

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2007 00:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
I use the penn-plax cascade I like it, I have two 700 and a 1000. They work well, I don't see to any leakage around the media trays. (700 has 2 the 1000 has 3). easy to use easy maintain. quite, fans on lights make more noise. But the best feature is the PRICE. It's affordable, some will tell you that alone makes it cheap, But I see no difference in the end from one of the more expensive canister filters. Your LFS will have an affordable price but on-line even cheaper even with shipping cost.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2007 00:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kunzman96
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 91
Votes: 115
male usa
I have a Rena filstar xp-3. I have only had it for a little while though so I can not comment on long term use but I am impressed so far. I agree with Dj on the online ordering. My xp-3 was almost 30% cheaper online than at my LFS. Sure I had to wait 5 days for shipping but it was worth it. Good luck!

"Talk is cheap. Action can be almost as affordable"
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2007 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
of all of my canisters, the only one that makes noise (right now), is my magnum hot, and thats only because i need to make some adjustments. other than that, i have no noise from any of the tanks, unless i let the water get to low

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2007 17:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
Cannister filters are wonderful, expensive gadgets. However, you should use extreme caution in setting up and using the filter. In addition, you should set-up a good set of preventive maintenance procedures if the cannister unit is to be below its aquarium intake.

Each cannister unit has a pressure seal between the body and the top. The seal is compressed by clips and the internal suction of the unit when it is under power. Over time, the seal flattens and becomes less reliable.

When the seal has become less elastic, the loss of power will allow water leakage between the top and body of the cannister. In essence, you need to replace the seal regularly to prevent potential problems.

My lack of foresight in replacing a $12 seal on an Eheim cost $2,275 in damages during a two hour power loss. Yes, Virginia, the cannister will siphon your aquarium onto your floor...

Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2007 19:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
fuval 105 is good for smaller tanks.
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2007 01:21Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies