keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
HOB FILTER

After a discussion on Chat it looks like this HOB would be a good choice for my 45lt bay front tank.

Does any one have/used them and I would appreciate your opinions please.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 08:42Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I have one that size on one of my 10s (and an AC 20 on the other). Works great. I don't use the charcoal media, it does a great job with just the foam and the biomax beads. I really like the adjustable flow.

><>
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 15:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
Will Keith the HOB are a good filter, AquaClear and tetra Wishpers, which I have used. HOB are all about the same, so what I would look at is the cost of the floss for them. Hob's don't have to many options with them, you really can't add any inline equipment, except Rena has made a inline heater for them, that goes on the suction side of the filter. I see a problem of them get clog with gunk as most inlines go after the filter. The other thing, is that id you palnning on addinag Co2, HOB's will break the surface tention on the water causing the loss of the gas. So if your going to add Co2, would have to say use a canister. Penn-plex makes the Cascade series and they work very will, and are inexpensive to start with, and the are on sale this month at Petsolutions.com, and generally they can found on Ebay at a discounted price.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 16:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I've never had a problem with Aquaclears. Great media room, good turnover, fantastic construction, easy cleaning.

The only thing I can fault them on in terms of filtration is that they can't pick up axolotl droppings, however this is unlikely to be a worry for you.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 05:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
I had a good look at one today and I will be buying one via the www tomorrow. They look a very sturdy little unit

When I install it I will be running the new and old filter for at least 4 weeks.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2008 07:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have three tanks 10, 20 and 55g. I have three AquaClear HOB filters, one on each tank (the 55g also has UGF system).

I have had 0 trouble with the AquaClears, they run great, they are quiet. I only use the carbon media when I am removing meds...

They are the only kind I have ever had.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2008 03:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies