SubscribeMore filtration ?!?!?
pos51
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 47
Votes: 4
male uk
Hi there,

I currently have a fluval 4plus filter in my 57(US) gal tank and was thinking about getting a fluval 205 cannister filter for much more added filteration.

what i really want to know are the benefits of having this extra filtration in my tank and would it be woth it? Also, how much filtration is enough filtration in my sized tank?
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 18:41Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
This could be an interesting post...

When I purchase a filter I read the box and if it says
that it will work for say, 30G to 55G and I put it on my
30, the poor fish are going to be swimming against currents
and I'd better provide so rocks to break up the current and
provide a place for them to "rest" If I put the same
filter on the 55G tank, then it will work adequately for
a normal bio-load for that size tank. That particular
filter would be ideal for a 40-45G tank.
Same idea if the filter says 55G to 75 or 100G.

Larger filters generally provide more surface area for
beneficial bacteria to grow, and that can lead to better
filtration. Larger filters with larger surface area and
the same flow as the smaller one would be even better.

Many believe that if you put a larger filter on the tank,
that you can house more fish in a given tank. In a sense
that can be correct...If, you ignore the swimming space
that each fish and each species requires. "Concentrating"
a larger number of fish in a given area can cause problems.

Personally, being somewhat conservative, I'd stick with
a normal bio-load, and a filter that will adequately handle
that tank.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 19:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I'm a really big fan of the FLuval plus line of filters. I find them efficient, easy to manitain, and at a good price. You could always get another one and put it at the other end...

Cannister filters are supposed to be some of the best filters out there, hands down. They have much much more room for filter media, which is great especially when it comes to biological filtration. They also have the added bonus of putting less equipment into your tank, and you can even use an in-line heater to remove all of the equipment from inside the tank altogether. I'v eheard both good and not so good things about the fluval cannisters. The major bad thing about them is that the configuration of the media baskets can allow some or even a lot of water to bypass the media, thereby defeating the purpose. Fluvals also have tricky impellers that can become very noisy and inefficient if not cleaned regularly.

When it comes to filtration, you want to filter the entire capacity of your tank at least 4 times per hour. Each filter should have a GPH (gallons per hour) rating on the box, and you want that number to be at least 4 times the capacity of your tank. In your case, you're looking for a GPH of about 230 or better. So the FLuval 205 isn't really going to cut it. Try a 305 instead.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 19:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
krige
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 1088
Votes: 377
male uk
Or buy an eheim 2026 better quality easier to clean and get going again and should you ever go up a size in tank it will go with you.They can be throttled back so the fish aren't blasted around the tank.

Gibson SG you know you want one!!
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 18:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Added filtration and airation never hurts but and a very big but if it is too powerful all you will do is create such a water turblance that it would not be suitable in a small tank.

I would prefer to go with a good canister eg Eheim and go one model up this would be sufficient in most tanks.

What most fish keepers dont think of is how good is the filtration not how many Gal/Lt per hr passes through the filter.

It is far better for a slower rate that does an excellent job than a high pressure hose that is practically useless as far as filtration is concerned.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 03:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
That's what I did when I bought my canister filter. I went one size up and it works a treat. In the Ehiem you can actually turn down the flow so you can adjust the amount of turbulance in the tank. I also face my output spray bar under the water so that reduces it furthermore.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies