Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNeed Advice Asap Please!!!!
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Had a power outage lastnight and it fryed my airpump and my hob filter. Got them running again but the are way noisey. The tank is in my room so i need a hob filter and airpump thats quiet enough so we can sleep. Any ideas before I buy some new ones. I had a aquaclear hob filter and tetra whisper pump. They werent to bad but a little noisey!
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 21:42Profile PM Edit Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Well what you might want to do is first with the HOB turns it off and clean the impeller and the impeller housing. usualy a noisy HOB is caused by something getting into the impeller. By cleaning that you remove the dirt that collected around it when the water stopped moving.

A noisy air pump may just be that when it turned back on it shifted a little bit and is vibrating against something. Move it and if that doesnt work try turning it off and back on.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 23:32Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
In addition, check the air-stone that is connected to
the pump. Sometimes these "glaze over" with bacteria that
clogs the small pores through which the air passes and that
back pressure will cause a vibrator type pump to really
rattle and make one heck of a racket. Also, check the air
lines to be sure none have been crimped or even closed off.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 00:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I fully agree to happen so fast after a power out. I would pull it all apart and give it a very good cleaning. To check the pump remove it completely and set it up at a different outlet if it is noisy it could be one of the internal rubbers if not no pump problems.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 04:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Did you fill the HOB with water after the power came back on? Sometimes I have to fill my HOB to start it back up after a power outage after its water drains out.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 05:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
hi... sorry about your loss of those two peices of machinery. the air pumps are usually noisy, but the tetra ones are feirly good for a low priced one. the best HOB filter i have had is one i just got, it is a Marineland penguin 350 (for like a 60g tank) but they make smaller models for smaller tanks. the penguin filter is really nice it has the biowheel , and the filter cartridges and the automatic syphon if the power goes out... and also for your machinery try taking them apart and cleaning them (unless it is an excuse to upgrade and get more and better stuff...) but if you go to get a new filter definatly get the marineland... good filters... but a lil pricey... and also, check the rubber diaphragm in your air pump and make sure it isnt popped, if it is go order some more online and do a temporary repair with silicone or some electrical tape. the new diaphragms usually sost less than 2$ apeice (usually arround 50cents) and save you the cost of a new pump...

good luck with that!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 10:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
your aquaclear filter should be fine with a cleaning and priming. Usually you must pour water into the filter until it starts pumping. Then it should be quiet. The air pump, hmmm. In my experience most air pump noise comes from back pressure, which can easily damage the pump. If you want a nice quiet air pump buy a rena. I've three of the smallest they make and they provide more than enough air for my tanks. I've had the whisper pump and it was rather loud out of the box when it was functioning normally. tried to valve it down a bit and it, within an hour, built up enough back pressure to fry it. now I have the renas and they are silent and dependable.
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 11:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Spanky

If I remember correctly you have discovered the problem and it turned out to be the large air stone. I had to leave chat to put eye drops in and you had gone when I got back.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 03:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies