Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSpawning Mop
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
How do you create one of these? What fish spawn in this? I am sure that i have seen one, but i never thought of using it........what are the pros/cons?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 07:03Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Spawning mops are primarily made out of knitting yarns. The way that I have made them is to wrap the yarn around my hand (really my four fingers) numerous times. You then tie of one end of the yarn and cut through the other end. If utilizing this as a floating mop then attach a small cork or piece of styrofoam to the tied off end which will cause the spawning mop to float.

If a sinking type mop is desired just place in the tank without the cork.

Prior to attaching the cork or styrofom, I boil the mops for a few moments which helps to remove any dyes and also sterilizes th mops for the spawning fish.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 07:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
Here is a web site with pictures to show you how:http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Leong_Spawning_Mop.html
As Far which fish - that is something that can be effected by the depth of you tank. Florida Flag Fish general scatter there eggs but if you put them in a tall tank you will need to us a spawn mop. That has been my experience and I researched it and found it to be published

DjRichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 23:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies