AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Tetra Talk
  L# Grr. Stupid lemon. Do I need to get rid of her?
SubscribeGrr. Stupid lemon. Do I need to get rid of her?
Julia
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 36
Votes: 0
female usa
My tank is 10 gallons, and has 1 lemon tetra, 1 neon tetra, and two female swords, which I will move when they get a bit bigger. I used to have more neons, but they all died within 5 days of purchase, other than the one I have now. I want to get more neons, and I will, as soon as I figure out what's happening with my lemon. The lemon is very nippy, and has been biting at all of the other fishes fins. I've had the lemon for about a week or so, now, and her behavior hasn't changed. Will she get nicer over time?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:37Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Lemons are shoaling fishes. On their own they'll get nippy to compensate for the insecurity of being alone. In a shoal of 6 or more your Lemon will stop being mippy, and just be playful with the other Lemons.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Since the tank is only 10 gallons, I'd suggest returning the lemon to the store (don't euthanize the fish) unless you have the proper tank for a proper shoal. Like Calilasseia it's a shoal/schooling fish and needs it's own kind.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:37Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Julia
-----
Fingerling
female usa
Allright. The only thing is, I now despise the store where I bought her... All they do is tke advantage of people. Does the neon tetra need a school, as well?
DoctorJ
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 1159
Votes: 191
male canada
Yes, the neon tetra also needs to be in a shoal. You mentioned that you had more neons and they all died. Is your tank cycled?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:37Profile PM Edit Report 
Julia
-----
Fingerling
female usa
Yes, it is. I'm going to buy more neon tetras as soon as I can get someone with a car to take me to the store. =P
DoctorJ
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 1159
Votes: 191
male canada
I hope you can find a good store to buy from. It's frustrating when store staff steer you wrong. I've only seen a couple of stores where I would absolutely trust what they tell me. I usually end up doing so much research that I could teach the store staff a thing or two by the time I'm done! At some stores that's not a difficult task.
regiscastelo
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
male brazil

Give the Lemon to a friend that has others one, like a gift. This is solve the problem.

About Neons, they live in Ph range of 5.5 to 6.0. Maybe the difference of your Ph Tank to the ideal Ph range will be kill the other that your are buying.

Try buy in a good store and quarantine then in a different tank. Doing this, you can slow adjust Ph range to a valor more acceptable.

Good Luck.

Rgis Castelo Branco.
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Or, you could always set up another aquarium for the Lemon and give him 5 more friends to play with

We'll have you suffering from Multiple Tank Syndrome like the rest of us, don't you worry

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
mimo
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 54
Votes: 5
male usa
Ive been researching the symptoms for weeks and couldnt figure out where these 4 tanks that take up all of my time came from. Multiple tank syndrome!!!! Thats it!!!

[span class="edited"][Edited by mimo 2004-08-23 11:21][/span]
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:37Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies