Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePenguin Tetras
zoeandmaia
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 121
Votes: 78
female usa
I originally posted this question in General Freshwater, but I haven't gotten any replies in nearly two days

I'm interested in the penguin tetra Thayeria boehlkei. How tightly does the penguin tetra school? How active are they?

Thanx.
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2006 01:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
dreamweaver8891
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 533
Votes: 79
female usa
Don't have any personal experience to offer to you...
But still, I didn't want you to think you were being ignored.... Maybe these sites would help answer some of your questions:
http://www.timstropicals.com/Inventory/TetraLarge/index.asp

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=890

(I really have to figure out how to provide links!!! >.<

To thine own self be true...
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2006 03:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Penguins can be fairly tight schoolers, particularly if there is something larger and 'predatory looking' in with them. However, one point to watch is that they're regarded, at least by some people here, as being fairly nippy. The potential for them to cause trouble with the wrong companions exists, so I would canvas more opinions and take notes on which combinations work and which don't

Oh, they like swimming space a-plenty because they're active. Give a decent sized shoal (10 or more) a nice long aquarium to zip up and down and they'll be happy. Might give you a facial tic watching them though!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2006 06:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
zoeandmaia
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 121
Votes: 78
female usa
Thanks for the links dreamweaver

If I get a school of these tetras they will most likely go in a 90 or 110 gal tank so they will have plenty of room to roam. I have a rainbow shark that may help keep them on edge and encourage schooling behavior.

I've seen them a couple of times at my LFS, but not in the last couple of months. I'll have to start watching for them and try to pick up a school the next time they are available. Hopefully I'll be able to get at least 10.
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2006 01:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies