Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Afternoon everyone,

I went to my LFS today to find some kind of schooler for my 38 gallon tank. I found what was referred to as "Tetra HY511", and I figured that it belonged to the genus Hyphessobrycon based on the "HY" designation and the fact that it looks similar (finnage and coloring wise) to Bleeding Hearts and Rosy tetras. I guessed (I know, I know. Bad fishkeeper for guessing) that it had similar requirements as other Hyphessobrycon tetras. I picked up 8 of them and they are acclimating via drip as I type this. Apparently they only recently have been imported according to the guy at my LFS (who I trust immensely because he probably knows more about fish than I do -- but I guess that isn't saying much. )

I found a webpage that has some pictures but no info on them. I also took some pictures of my own, but I can't find the darn camera cord to upload them onto the computer. I'll keep looking for that and upload them when I can.

So, getting to the point of this post...

Does anyone have any further info for me about HY511, i.e. does it have a scientific name yet? Heck, I'll even take a common name at this point because it's going to be hard to explain to my parents "Oh, yes, these are Hyphessobrycon species 511!"

What about requirements? Similar to other Hyphessobrycon like I assumed?

Any info would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I might even add you to my Christmas card list if you come up with some really juicy tidbit.

Joe Potato

Post InfoPosted 31-Jul-2007 21:52Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
Don't know if you've read this yet but this is what I've found:

this has a few things (some overview and specifics)
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/216128/i/7/product.web

this is the specific name I found:
Scientific Name: HYPHESSOBRYCON SP.

And heres a link of a person in a similar situation as you:
http://www.petkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/freshwater/5543/Tetra-HY511

hope this helps Ill keep looking

tigermom
Post InfoPosted 31-Jul-2007 22:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Thanks tigermom.

Yeah, I figured they didn't have a proper scientific name yet.

What's funny, though, is that I live about 45 minutes from the store that was your first link. I didn't get these guys there, but I've been to thatfishplace many times to get less common species.

I've just fed the tank with frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp, and let me tell you, they are absolutely voracious. I never thought I'd see the day where my WCMMs got outcompeted, but the tetras are like torpedoes.

I'm really happy with them. They perked right up about 15 minutes after I put them in the tank. There is one thing that has me curious, though. There seem to be three different types: one has a small white dorsal fin, another has a small white dorsal fin with a black spot on it, and the third has an extended dorsal fin. I'm pretty sure the fish with the extended dorsal fins are the mature males, as that's how it is with other Hyphessobrycon species, but I can't figure out what the other two are. One is obviously mature females, so maybe the other type are immature fish?

Still looking for the cord. Hope I find it tonight.

Cheers!

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2007 01:42Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
Well, I found the cord, so really crappy, grainy pics follow!

There's only one with the really apparent extended dorsal fin. For whatever reason, this guy doesn't seem to want to school with the others; he usually hangs by himself pretty high in the tank, almost like he staked out a territory.

Extended dorsal fin

Another

And another

Here is one with the black portion on its dorsal fin. There's one with a white fin in that pic too.

One with black dorsal fin, one with white.

Sorry for the quality. They're taken with a camcorder instead of an actual camera, because for whatever reason, I can't get the camera to focus no matter what I do.

They're still doing great today, quite active and showing much more personality than any other tetra that I've had.

Joe Potato

Edit: Uh oh, there's a turf war going on in the tank. The white clouds don't seem to like their new neighbors.

If it keeps on like this, I'm going to have to do some rearranging.
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2007 15:42Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
EditedEdited by sirbooks
They sort of look like Hyphessobrycon bentosi, but yours seem to have more pointed dorsal fins and don't look as stocky. All the Hyphessobrycon tetras I've had experience with have been pretty hardy and easy to feed, so hopefully you'll have good luck with yours as well. They're pretty nice looking.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2007 17:38Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Well, things have calmed down between the tetras and the white clouds. They still make the occasionally aborted pass at each other, but for the most part they're content with each other.

You're right, Nick -- they do look quite a lot like H. bentosi. In fact, now that they've colored up more, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them WERE Ornate Tetras. I can definitely split them into three groups, and I think one of those groups (the ones with the black dorsal fins) might be H. bentosi.

Thanks for the info, Nick! I guess I'll be heading down to the LFS tomorrow to talk with my friend about the ID.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2007 02:52Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies