AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Tetra Talk
  L# X-reay tetras and lemon tetras?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeX-reay tetras and lemon tetras?
Peter17
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 208
Votes: 1
male usa
Well i have a fully cycled tank with the following inhabitants so far:

3 x-ray's
2 cherry barbs
1 snail
2 corys
1 gold barb

Can i add some lemon tetras maybe 3?

Peter

20 GALLON LONG CURRENTLY EMPTY ~~~~ 10 GALLON W/ STRIPPED CONVICT
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Is that the ten gallon tank? Sorry, but you don't have the room. On top of that, you need to expand your other groups of fish, namely the x-ray (pristella) tetras and the cories. They both need to be kept in groups of at least six to keep them from being stress. The same goes for that gold barb, but I recommend that you move it instead of adding more. They are too large and active for such a small tank, and yours will become a liability. I really urge that you remove that fish.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Peter17
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
OK how many more x-rays could i add? And the gold barb is doing just perfect with everyone..he seems fine..plus my lfs said he's fine. Yes it is a ten gallon..and iam not sure i want to buy any more cory's because they keep dying and i have almost nomore creditability with my lfs. I think that they are dying because of their barbs being damaged by the gravel...how can i fix this?

Peter

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
male usa us-virginia
Okay, I'll address the cory issue first. Gravel does not damage a cory's barbels, that is just a myth. Their barbels are usually only damaged by high nitrate levels, which result from people not changing their tank's water or vacuuming their gravel. I don't know how often you perform tank maintenance, but you should test your nitrate levels regardless. If they are high, that might be the source of your trouble with cories, as nitrates are their arch-enemies.

As for the barb, I'll explain why I don't think that it should be in there. Gold barbs are schooling/shoaling fish (it depends on how you look at it), and need to be kept in schools/shoals, much like tetras. They are very active fish, and need plenty of swimming room. They also grow from three to four inches, depending on who you ask. Your tank doesn't have the space for six three to four inch fish that constantly roam the tank, no matter how much you wish it did. The barb is certainly compatible with your fish, just not with your tank. I hate to say it, but that barb will eventually not work out. Oh, and take whatever a fish store employee says with a grain of salt. Not all of them know what they're talking about.

If you do move the barb (they're nice fish, really they are), then you should add another three of the tetras. They like to be kept in groups of at least six, as that helps to lower their stress level and susceptibility to disease. If you can fix whatever problem you were having with the cories, bump their shoal up to six, too. Just remember, they should all be the same species of cory.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I would change the Gold Barb with some X-ray (Pristella) Tetras. Gold Barbs are schooling fish & need to stay in a group of 6.
You also need to get more Corydoras (they are also schooling fish) or else take them back to the LFS.
Do as sirbooks said & all your fish will be fine & happy.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/s8xi5heh/album?.dir=b5f2

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Peter17
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Thank all of you very much...i will do...and are u suggusting to bump both my tetras and cories?

Peter

jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Yes, make them a school of at least 5.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/s8xi5heh/album?.dir=b5f2

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Peter17
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I should bump them up gradualy though right?

Peter

Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Yes, one step at a time. Nature likes patient aquarists!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Peter17
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Well good news i bumped up my x-rays to a school of six and they never looked happier..

now i have:

1. six x-ray tetras
2. One snail
3. 2 Cherry Barbs
4. 1 Gold barb
5. 2 corys

My question is should i add soe corys or would that be over stocking?

Peter

sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
male usa us-virginia
If you will recall, we did recommend that you add more cories. First though, what species are they? If they are one of the larger ones like paleatus or aeneus, then you don't have the space for six of them. If that is the case, it would be best for you to either exchange the two for a smaller species and get six, or just add one more cory. Just three cories in a shoal certainly isn't the ideal, but you don't want to have six fish grow up and not have the room to play in. Plus, bigger cories = higher bioload.

And really, that barb should go. Once it gets bigger, you will see what I mean when I say that it deserves more room.

Peter17
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Ok well my species is emerald corys..so should i add some more? And iam going to bring back the gold barb in the next 1-2 weeks...

Peter

Peter17
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Is 1-2 weeks too long of time?

sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
male usa us-virginia
The "emerald cory catfish" (actually not a cory at all) grows to over three inches in length, and is a boisterous fish. I think you should consider returning these guys, and getting one of the smaller cories. That is, if there are any available in your area. Have you seen any besides paleatus or aeneus near you?

No, one to two weeks is okay. I'm just glad I was able to convince you to return that gold barb. They're super fish, but you just don't have the room for a school.

Peter17
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Are u sure that they get 3 inches because I dont think they do...?

Peter

sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
male usa us-virginia
Looking back, I see that they don't quite reach three inches. I had confused them with another fish. However, these are still large Callichthyid bottom feeders, as they can reach 2.75 inches or so in length. They also get very fat! We have a fully-grown specimen at work, along with many other two inch Brochis splendens. These fish are very wide, yet are still quite active. They wouldn't be a good idea in a ten gallon tank.

Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies