L# rummynose or lemon
Subscriberummynose or lemon
devon7
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 356
Votes: 4
female usa
I dont know whether to get rummynose tetras or lemon tetras as dither fish for my rams. I would be getting a school of 6 to go in a 10 gallon with 2 blue rams. I like the looks of both of them but I have not kept either so i dont know very much about their behavior, so their behavior would probably be the deciding factor.

So, preferably based on your experience with this fish, which should I keep? can you tell me about the behavior and habits of each of these fish; like how active they are, how they school, temperment, interesting behaviors etc?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
victimizati0n
-----
Banned
Kudos: 1105
Votes: 31
male
Well, I know rummynose need bigger than a 10 gallon tank.

not sure about lemons
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile PM Edit Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
yeah thats a good point. is that due to their activity level?
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Actually, if you have good enough water quality for blue rams, you should be able to keep rummynoses as well. (lemons are a tad large for a 10) Be VERY careful with such sensistive fish though, because in a small tank like that water quality can fluctuate very rapidly.

><>
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
victimizati0n
-----
Banned
Kudos: 1105
Votes: 31
male
I base everything tank size-wise off of live aquaria.

They say min 30 gallons, but honostly, i think they can go into a 20.

I have seen pretty big ones that my LFS had, and they were def. bigger than any full grown neon i have ever seen (they were probably close to 2.5"

That would be about 12" of fish just to get them a school.

Personally, I feel if you keep high enough water quality, you can put them in a 10 gallon.
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
ok, well i DO intend to keep the water quality up as I am keeping it specifically for the rams and they are quite sensitive, so i guess i am still torn between the 2 fish...
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Lemon tetras get larger than rummys, though lemons don't need good water quality to survive like rummynose tetras do. Also, from my experiences with lemon tetras, they will occasionally nip other fish. I would go with rummys, because they are more peaceful and look nicer.

EDIT: Ooops, my bad.

Last edited by sirbooks at 01-Nov-2004 05:24

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
gartenzwerfe
----------
Big Fish
Mrs. Racso To Be
Kudos: 628
Votes: 199
female usa
I beg to differ

First of all I'd strongly recommend a larger tank, at least 20 gallons. Secondly, lemons are smaller than rummys. It may not appear to be the case in a LFS, but check the data (not this site tho, other sites). Rummys actually get up to 2 inches while lemons stay around 1.5 inches.

I suggest 6 lemons. 6 is still a school but not as taxing on the 10g tank's bioload and stability as a larger number. They also have about the same requirements as rams and are pretty hardy.

HTH

&gt;&lt;&gt;Dani&lt;&gt;&lt;
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
if i could do a bigger tank, by all means i would, but i am using a pre-existing and pre-established tank that i have had up and running with other fish in it for 7 months or so.

I think I am still leaning towards lemons... they were my original idea and i think the rummys might be distracting from the rams... i also thought the yellow might complement the rams nicely?
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Between those two choices I'd go with lemons. My first thought was about coloring, and lemons would compliment the rams nicely. I kept lemons in the past and IME didn't find them nippy at all.

A couple other ideas I thought of are black neons and glowlights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
kmlubahn6609
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 127
Votes: 2
female usa
My friend has a 55gal with both lemons and rummies, and she hasnt had a problem...and both are beautiful fish!

I've got a fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
I would say go for Lemons, or go for another smaller fish: White Clouds are fabulous, wonderful little critters with the most beautiful blue eyes, there is also Glowlights- who in my experience are the best schooling of all the tetras I have had. They even school better than they pristellas, and the pristellas school tight.
What about Blue/Purple Emperor tetras- arent they very small as well? You could maybe look into those fish as well.
But I would say if you like the Lemons the best go with those!
They would look great with Blue Rams.
Just keep up on your water changes, and plant the tank nicely!

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
PJ
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 427
Votes: 326
male australia
[font color="#000080"]Yeah I'll have to say Lemons aswell, I like Rummys better but I think the Lemons will look nicer with the Rams.

Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
IMO, they both are suitable for 10 gallon tanks, reaching around 2-2.5" in both cases. Though I've never actually kept lemons, there's a school of them living in a 30 gallon at the store I work at--they've been living there for, oh, half a year (lemons don't sell well here, apparently), and they are definitely hardy--moreso than rummies. They, therefore, take my vote.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:38Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
devon7
-----
Big Fish
female usa
well! I went against my original thoughts and opted for an even smaller fish when i saw my LFS had, lo and behold, THREADFIN RAINBOWS! exiting! I picked up 3 and I will see how they are working out with the rams and everything for a week or something and then either get 3 more or return them. They are so cool, they have blue eyes and stuff. I dont know very much about them but from what i have read my tank will work out pretty well for them, i have heard of people keeping them with rams before, and the tank is both densly planted (on the sides) with open swimming room (in the middle) which I believe meets their requirements... the water should be fine for them as well. I hope it works out, they were such a wonderful find
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies