AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# Angel bloated and hovering near surface (but still trying to eat)
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAngel bloated and hovering near surface (but still trying to eat)
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
I have an extremely stable and well established and cycled 72g tank containing a pair of angels among other fish. I have had these angels for 2 years.

The male is now somewhat bloated and hovering near the surface. He did try to eat tonight so I know he has an appetite but he is not very enthusiastic about it.

I did a water change (30%) as usual, about a week ago. I change the water every two weeks and I have maintained the same routine with these fish for two years. They have thrived and layed eggs all along but lately no eggs either. Outwardly the fish looks fine (fins look good, not clamped, and no signs of fungus or ich or other trauma except maybe slightly bloated) but something is obviously wrong.

I have not tested my water this evening but will do so in the a.m.

Could it be old age? This angel is roughly 4-5 inches top to bottom.

Does this sound like possible internal parasite?

Any suggestions??

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 05:19Profile PM Edit Report 
Jay Hopper
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 48
Votes: 17
male australia
If he's bloated then it may be constipation. If he's still willing to eat than I suggest giving him a shelled pea. That should clean out his insides. Other than that, there's nothing else you can really do. Improving the water quality may help. Anyway, good luck!
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 11:31Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
female usa
I tried the peas but they sank. So I carefully put them on the end of a toothpick and hovered them over him. No luck. Poor thing is trying to eat the regular feeding tonight but is getting "tired". His breathing looks labored. HELP!!!!!
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2006 04:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kmlubahn6609
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 127
Votes: 2
female usa
did you shell the pea? try squishing the insides of the pea for the fish to eat. Some fish keepers have a day of fasting, which i use when i think my fish are getting bloated. This helps clean their systems out...at least of poo, anyways.

I've got a fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2006 00:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Jay Hopper
----------
Fingerling
male australia
EditedEdited by Jay Hopper
There's nothing really else that you can do I'm afraid. I once had a bloated danio and he ended up exploding, so maybe you should quarantine him into a tank with prime conditions. Keep trying with the shelled peas, and try not to feed him too much. If you do, he's just going to get more bloated and the less chance he has of surviving. Try asking people at your LFS that may have something like a fish laxative. I don't know if they exist, but you can always try. I've also heard about Epsom Salts curing constipation. If you wish to try this, do a google search about the dosage. In a book I have it says a teaspoon per gallon, but it seems a bit much to me. Anyway, check around. If the fish does recover, improve it's diet. What exactly are you feeding him?
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2006 10:44Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Bloating is often bacterial in origin, so you cant say that nothing can be done, the cause could be protozoan, bacterial , brought on my larger internal parasites or even maldigestion and thermic shock.

I'd at least try an antibiotic before I gave up.

What temp is the tankwater incidentally?
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2006 02:51Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
female usa
I tested the water and all the readings are the same they have been for three years (and the fish have thrived).

Temp is 80 degrees, again as it has been for three years.

He is on his side at the bottom tonight. I can't bring myself to euthanize him but I can't look at him either. This is just heartbreaking. It's been so long since I've lost an aquafriend, I forgot how horrible it is.

At this point, I think you are right. Nothing can be done. If someone can suggest a last minute approach, it would be appreciated. Meds are so touchy in my tank since I have three clown loaches and many panda corys.

I am ready to cry now
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2006 03:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
female usa
BTW, Longhairedgit, I love your bit about dying fish (the end of your message). So true, so true. Someday people will figure it out, but when!?!??!
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2006 03:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jay Hopper
----------
Fingerling
male australia
Any news on you Angelfish? I'm dying to know about him! Please give me the good news that he's alive and well!
Post InfoPosted 24-May-2006 05:21Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
female usa
THanks Jay, but he died last night. I am quite convinced it was swim bladder. He had no outward signs of illness. I am wondering if he got knocked around by our large clown loach.
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2006 01:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Its possible but a lot of angels are horribly inbred, it might simply have been a genetic weakness.
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2006 13:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies