Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAngel sitting on bottom of tank, still eats
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
A couple of weeks ago I lost an Angel. Now his mate of several years is also appearing to be dying. She will come up to the top to eat but rapidly goes back to the bottom of the tank where she "sits" on the gravel. Does not seem to have balance issues (i.e. swim bladder). Water always tests the same and i have had these fish for years.

Any clues?
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 03:25Profile PM Edit Report 
geminilyretail
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 28
Votes: 7
female usa
First Q. how long have you had them and how big were they when you got them. anglefish can live 8-10 years. so if you got them m-L in size they could have been around a year. if they were the same size as when you got them then the age would be unknown. they could be just old. with the loss of her mate she is prob. very depresed. so sorry about your loss. i would be so sad if my angles passed.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 04:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Might be worth checking the tank temperatures for high day/night drops, ive seen angels act like that in response to thermic stress.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 05:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
female usa
The angels are (were) quite large - about 7 inches from top to bottom. You may be right about their age. She is still sitting at the bottom, but gets "energy bursts" and flings around the tank then settles down again. I have never seen anything like it!

My temps have been a steady 80-82, which is what my fish have been accustomed to for a few years.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
geminilyretail
-----
Fingerling
female usa
it sounds like shes depresed. losing a long time mate for anything (even fish)can be a very unseteling ordeal. sadly there dosent seem to be any problem that can be solved with med. maybe getin a young angle, (light getin a puppy for and old dog) might give her something to take care of. my female molly was very mopie when her sister died but when i got a new female she perked right up.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 05:18Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
female usa
After all this time she is still sitting on the bottom of the tank. Usually she sits as though she is swimming (in a normal position) but is just sitting there. Sometimes she gets energy bursts and flings around the tank then just drops to the bottom. I would think swim bladder but her equilibrium does not seem to be off. SHe still tries to eat.

Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2006 01:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
geminilyretail
-----
Fingerling
female usa
im so sorry, i think its just a matter or time.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2006 11:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies