Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBeginning of Ich
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
I am getting worried about one of my swordtails. Their is one white spot on the tip of its dorsal fin. I just want to be ready if this is Ich, Should i buy meds or wait to see if it goes away?

Chris
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 04:30Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
I would start dosing - provided you use the proper medication for your specific setup it shouldn't hurt if it is not ick. Of course it could also be a fungus and you'll need to look closer at the fish and let us know any other symptoms he may be exhibiting before we know for sure.

If it is ich, ave you done a water change lately? Has there been a rapid change in temperature of the tank? Is your sword a new fish or have you added any new fish lately that were not first in quarantine?

As far as what meds to try, I cannot tell you without knowing what other fish are in your tank. If you have scaleless (i.e. clown loaches) you will need to check with your LFS as to what meds are safe. Be very careful about that as the wrong meds could wipe out your scaleless fish if you have any. You must also take care to increase airflow by adding an airstone or similar - again depending on which med you choose. Meds based with formalin (which is a gas) rob the water of precious oxygen.

Probably more info than you wanted, but let's get started on getting your sword back to good health

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 16:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies