AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# E-myacin (sp?) safe for Clown Loaches and ANgelfish??
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeE-myacin (sp?) safe for Clown Loaches and ANgelfish??
rasboramary
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 192
Votes: 4
female usa
My harlequin rasboras need emyacin. Is it safe for them and for my clown loaches and panda corys and angelfish??
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 02:26Profile PM Edit Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
EditedEdited by Bob Wesolowski
Erythromycin is a macrolide antibiotic which has an antimicrobial spectrum similar to or slightly wider than that of penicillin, and is often used for people who have an allergy to penicillins. For respiratory tract infections, it has better coverage of atypical organisms, including mycoplasma. It is also used to treat outbreaks of chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea. Structurally, this macrocyclic compound contains a 14-membered lactone ring with ten asymmetric centers and two sugars (L-cladinose and D-desoamine), making it a compound very difficult to produce via synthetic methods.

Erythromycin is produced from a strain of the actinomyces Saccaropolyspora erythraea, formerly known as Streptomyces erythraeus.

Erythromycin prevents bacteria from growing, by interfering with their protein synthesis.

- Wikipedia

Your harlequin rasboras need erythromycin.
1. Why?
2. What bacterial infection do they have?
3. Why do you want to treat the entire tank, clown loaches and angelfish?
4. Do you know that erythromycin may kill your bio-filter?

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 08:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I agree with Bob why do you actually require such a strong medication? As Bob mentioned it will kill most if not all the bacterial in you tank and if it does it could/will lead to far more problems than you ever wanted to. If you have to use it take the fish out and give them a bath in it and then return them or use a seperate medical tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2006 06:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies