southern_babe1
-----
Small Fry
female usa
EditedEdited by southern_babe1
contents of 20 tall aquarium:
3 platys (was 4 but the one died)
1 guppy
1 straita botia? (that is what the fish store associate called it. looks like a small yoyo loach with stripes instead of y's)
1 piece of driftwood
1 pagoda
sand substrate
aquatech filter for 30 gallon tank

I came home from vacation and went to check on my fish and saw one platy down below one of my plants. it looked like it was stuck so I moved the plant and saw that the fish had a massive puff of fuzz sticking out of its right side gill and was extremely thin and lethargic. I assumed it was fungal but did not have anything to treat it with immediately. I removed the fish from the main tank and started cleaning the tank before any of my other fish started showing signs of the disease. the fish was dead by the next morning. is there anything that I should treat the rest of the fish with or should i wait and see what happens when my water parameters settle down from my house sitter overfeeding? I am out of test strips but i know that there had to be an ammonia spike because there were clumps of fuzzy food down on the bottom of the tank and stuck all over my pagoda.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2009 15:53Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Fungus doesn't necessarily mean there was an ammonia spike, but it does mean you have decomposing organics. You want to keep up water changes and so that you reduce the amount of such organics, as well as perhaps feed a little less.

It may be wise to treat the tank with a fungus treatment of some sort, because it could still be in the tank, but good cleaning and maintenance should be enough, IME.

Botia striata is otherwise known as the zebra loach, if you want an easier to remember name.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2009 18:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies