AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# Fuzzy Spots Still, Not Ich, Fin Clamping!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFuzzy Spots Still, Not Ich, Fin Clamping!
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
EditedEdited by Twilight
Help!

My blue female betta has a sticky left pectoral fin that I actually thought was gone for a couple of hours! In fact, it was stuck to her side, so I couldn't see it.

This whole thing started as a fuzzy white spot, which I treated as ich. After one week of treatment and a tank temp at 80 deg. F, there was no change, except that a similar spot developed on the other pectoral fin.

I moved her to a QT and treated her with Pimafix for a week. It seemed to be gone, so I moved her back into the community tank. It came back within a couple of days.

As I had a blue-green "algae" problem as well, I treated the community tank with tetracyline for 5 days. No luck with the fuzzy spots. In fact, one has now shown up on one of my red female's pectoral fins.

This is now the end of a week of Pimafix and Melafix in the community tank, and, although everyone is acting normal, the blasted white stuff won't go away!

I'm at my wits end! Please help!!!

Edit: tank perameters are the same as when this sleigh ride began. No ammonia, nitrite, trace nitrate (less than 5), pH 6.8.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2008 22:32Profile PM Edit Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Give the tank a good cleaning and water change, then try some "fungus clear" according to directions. You can get it at WalMart and it does not cost much. I have had pretty good luck with it when all else fails.
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 18:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Looks like the problem is certainly in the community tank. The problem was possibly caused by another fish and the fungus set in as a secondary infection due to possibly a water/filtration problem

As far as treating the fungus I have no idea what you can purchase go to a good LFS and get a quality product.

I would give the community a real good cleaning and certainly do not put the Betta back until the fungus has completely gone even then add a few weeks extra just to be on the safe side.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 03:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
I've got a good antifungal, and apparently I should see results on or about the third day of treatment. I've done a thorough cleaning, with a smaller siphon that takes longer but gives me access to more of the gravel.

Water quality is all still good (Nitrate <5, Nitrite and Ammonia 0, pH 6.8), except that my phosphate level is really high. I have never tested at home for that before (the tap water has negligible amounts when it has any at all), but it sounds like flake food is to blame, even though I only feed that every other day. Time to switch brands.

Thank you to both of you!

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 09:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Well, I've now lost an oto.

My betta looks a little better, after 4 days of anti-fungus, but my biofilter's been thrown for a loop. So, I've done a 30% water change, put activated carbon in the HOB, and dosed with Pimafix and Stability. I'm also trying direct application of diluted Pimafix to Blue's pectoral fins.

I don't want to lose any other fish trying to treat my blue girl. As much as I love her, I don't want to risk the others. Red's looked fine since the second day. I just hope the fungus is gone in the rest of the tank.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2008 08:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I used Stability when replacing the 5ft tank do you realise that you can double dose for the first dose.

Fantastic stuff yet some still think it is Snake Oil.

How is the Betta bathing going?? I though I better add Betta in.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2008 10:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Well, the 29 gal seems to be setting back to rights now. *fingers crossed* My little Blue still has fuzzy pectoral fins, but it's not spreading. I'm borrowing a QT as my male now lives in the 5 gal that was my QT. Going for salt to start with, and then... *shrugs* This is week 6 and I really can't afford to keep experimenting with meds.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 21:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies