AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# Gourami with Enlarging Sore (picture)
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGourami with Enlarging Sore (picture)
MO
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 50
Votes: 2
usa
When I got my pearl gourami many months ago he had what looked like a single missing or lifted scale. It stayed that way for a long time and then it started to flake off and spread. It now is a large spot with no scales and the flesh is raw and red. The scales around the sore are also somewhat faded looking.

He is otherwise healthy with no other signs of illness and a good appetite. I put him in a qt tank a few weeks ago and tried Melafix and Maracyn-Two (minocycline). The other gourami I got at the same time also had a small spot, but on her fin. It also started out looking minor (like a scar from a nip). It turned red and caused the fin to split where it was. I found her dead shortly after.

Anyone know what this is or what I should try next?

http://home.comcast.net/~molanic/images/IMG_0512.JPG

Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2006 05:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Looks like an injury inflicted possibly by another fish. Have you seen any other fish chasing it? The other possibility could be fungal infection. Check the water parameters and quarantine the fish. Melafix should be good.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2006 09:08Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
What I have seen and been told especially about Pear Gourami is that they are often transported too many in one bag together and this can cause brusing or being damaged by other fish during shipment.

I would treat as perscribed with Pimafix and Melafix. What ratio of Males to Females do or did you have in that tank? They also like plenty of top cover such as a floating water sprite.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2006 02:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MO
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 50
Votes: 2
usa
He has already had over a week of Melafix and a full course of Maracyn-Two with no affect. I also have added some aquarium salt.

I did some more searching and found a few posts talking about "expanding ulcers" being more common in gouramis than other fish. It mentioned treating with tetracycline and Melafix as the only good option. I also found people who recommended medicated food and dabbing the ulcer with iodine on a q-tip.

I wonder if it is okay to used food with antibiotic in it at the same time as treating the water with antibiotic and Melafix??

This wound and the one on the deceased gourami were definitely not caused be another fish in my tank. I noticed the little spots the day I got them and they just expanded slowly from there. I initially had 1 large male and 1 large female in a 55g and there was very little chasing. The female was the first to die after her spot enlarged. The male still looked healthy, so after a few weeks I got 2 more females (much smaller though). One of them was very small and thin and didn't make it. The other female is still in the tank and healthy looking. The large male is the one with the ulcer in the qt tank now. There was floating plant cover and all the other fish are peaceful. The water is good, no ammonia or nitrites. I actually have to add nitrates to get it up to 10ppm for the plants.
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2006 08:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
EditedEdited by Bob Wesolowski
Mo,

The spot on your gourami definitely looks like a bacterial infection. It may have started as an injury in shipment or in the close quarters at the LFS that became infected with bacteria.

Standard treatment is to use an antibiotic together with the antibiotic in the fish food as the infection may also be internal. This should not be a problem as long as the antibiotics are the same - erythromycin is an excellent medication. Do not mix a conjurer's potion of meds to throw at the problem as combinations and overdoses can be fatal.

Suspend the use of Melafix, its primary benefit, if any, is anti-viral. I would treat the fish in a hospital tank unless the problem appears to be systemic throughout the other fish in your aquarium.

Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2006 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies