SubscribeHarlequins That Wont Eat...
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I just picked up a small shoal of harlies for my 10g on Saturday nite. I have not seen them eat since I brought them home. I've seen them take a brief sniff at food and that's about it.

I have fed flakes, cichlid pellets, sinking shrimp pellets, algae wafers, bloodworms, krill, all to no avail

My tank is cycled, good water params, mid 70's temp 8.0 pH.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have even changed the flow rate on my filter for more or less current.

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 01:47Profile PM Edit Report 
Alaska
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 6
female usa
An update is in order here, perhaps?
A lot of times it just takes some time for fish to get accustomed to the tank before they are ready to eat. Some are just shy eaters, although harlies are not usually classified as such.
Heck, I've had fish that I never saw eat, but stayed plump and otherwise happy, so I figured that they must have been eating something!
Live food is always a great way to coax reluctant feeders to take a nibble. Almost all LFSs offer live bloodworms, which is, by the way, not sufficient as a staple, but acceptable for short periods of time. Sometimes they sell live brine shrimp as well.

~~<><~~><>~~
"When push comes to shove, you gotta do what you love, even if it's not a good idea"
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2008 21:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
EditedEdited by sora
I think scott acidentally posted this twice alaska. if you look a little farther down the list of topics you should see it again with some replys. i believe he last posted that it looked like they were now attempting to eat.

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2008 23:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
yea, I had posted this in the Cyprinid... Whoops, a little duplication never hurt anyone.

For the record, they are feeding very nicely now. I am wondering, this "aggressive feeding" has come about quite recently, maybe as a result of turning up the temp as I treat a little Ich in the tank. Perhaps I had been keeping them a little too cool. I usually keep the tank in the low-mid 70's F. It's now in the low 80's F while I treat for Ich.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 03:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alaska
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 6
female usa
EditedEdited by Alaska
Well, that's certainly possible. Although I would tend to doubt it. Mid seventies is perfectly fine for harlies, although they will do fine in the low 80s as well. Remember that increasing the temperature will speed up their metabolism a little, which may also account for more aggressive feeding.

~~<><~~><>~~
"When push comes to shove, you gotta do what you love, even if it's not a good idea"
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 08:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies