SubscribeHmmm, Losing Fish
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
10g planted temp 79f (was about 82 a couple days ago due to warm air temps). Ammonia- 0ppm, Nitrites- 0ppm; pH- 8.0 and Nitrates- 40+ppm.

I jsut lost a panda cory, was half eaten or dissolved, swear he was alive yesterday. And now one of the Harlequin Raspboras is swimming poorly, pretty much leaned over on one side and gasping.... He probably won't see morning.

My concern is the Nitrates, they seem awfully high. The pH is always around 8.0-8.4, comes out of the tap like that.

I just dosed with Melafix and Pimafix.

The remainder of the stock is 5 other Harlies, 2 more panda Corys and jack, the Cornflower Blue Betta. (and a bunch of little snails)

Any thoughts? Would a 25% WC be in order, what with the nitrates being that high? Usually my tanks run about 10-20ppm nitrates.

Any ideas??
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2008 03:44Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Several good 30% water changes, less feeding, more air and get rid of those snails they could be producing a lot of waste.

The snails would not be helping in the PH either. Do you use a ph Buffer I have used a buffer for years and it works (Locally made)

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2008 04:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
I second that motion, a few 25-30% PWC 's will reduce those nitrate levels in short order, also, just thinking around the corner, that water temp. I used to live in OH so I know how hot and miserable it gets there and how hard it can be to regulate/control water temps. in smaller tanks, warmer water has less capacity to carry dissolved O2. The addition of a airstone- bubble wand, disk or the like, will help lots .

J.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2008 19:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I did do a 30% WC right away last evening, and treated the tank with Pima/Mela, also treated the tank again this morning. I added an airstone as well. I noted that the tank water that came out during the WC was nastier than normal, I went too long tween changes and my water quality suffered. I won't do that again.
It looks like ym nitrates are down from their high of over 40ppm yesterday, but still above 20ppm. The 20ppm is a much better situation.

The harlie was still struggling mightily this morning but I felt like that was a good thing. However, this evening, I cannot spot him or his carcasse. I can only assume he bit the dust.

I know loaches will eat snails. Can anyone reccomend a good species of loach for a small tank with a consistently hi pH (8.0-8.2)? Also, it would help to find something that doesnt need a big shoal.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jun-2008 03:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Scott I had a small outbreak of snails in my 45lt Betta tank.

I bought a small CL and left it there for several months and as soon as the CL was big enough it went into the 5ft tank and just kept growing. I have not seen a snail since either.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jun-2008 08:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
Scott look around there are loachs out there at eat snails but stay small. Clown loaches eat snails and do a good job at it but they are really a bad choice. their requirements to be truly happy most can not provide for them. First they should be in groups of 6 or more and they get quite large over time. I have found that the reason they are so recommended is there availabilty. You could also add Had a snail to the tank which is copper and that will kill all the snails and eggs. You will have to vacume the gravel and do an extra water change without vacuming. Just to make sure that the dead snails bodies do not cause your nitrate level to rise up.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2008 19:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
amilner
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 654
Votes: 0
male uk
Clowns prefer to be in groups. I wouldn't get a single speciman..... plus it'll too big for that tank.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2008 23:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies