Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeUnknown death of Bristlenose catfish
Jimbooo
----------
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 1
male cyprus
Hi. I have not idea how or why, but my bristlenose catfish diead. I have a 60ltr tank, with some angels, platies, whitclouds, and a bristlenose. I found the bones on the bottom of the tank. The heat has been going up excessively the last couple of weeks, but everything else has survived just fine! The nitrate ammonia etc is aok. I change the water weekly and vaccum fortnightly.

The bristlenose was 6cm long

the earlybird gets the worm.... but the second mouse gets the cheese...
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 09:37Profile PM Edit Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
A number of thoughts, Jimbooo.

1. Your bristlenose (bn) might have starved. Generally this catfish needs supplementary feedings of spirulina algae, spinach or squash to thrive. The spinach and squash should be par boiled for the fish to eat it.

2. The water parameters may not be "aok". The bn is a great wast maker (poops a lot), at the same time it enjoys the same water parameters as discus. Are your nitrates under 20 ppm?

3. "The heat has been going up excessively the last couple of weeks..." The temperature swings may have stressed the fish and it resulted in its death combined with diet and water conditions.

4. It was old and infirm, dying a natural death from old age.

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 16:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jimbooo
----------
Small Fry
male cyprus
Your probably right...I think the starvation thing may have something to do with it..................

I have spirulina pellets for catfish... I only used them occasionally to supplement for the lack of algae in the tank. The fish probably ate all the algae, and I didnt realise it. If it was the nitrates, I dare say that the other fish would have been effected (angels, platies).

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 23:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
First why is the heat going up? If you have any bottom feeders they must be fed every day. Have a look at My Profile to see my stock and what they are fed.
Do you have any old drift wood or areas where it could hide if not this would/could have caused stress. I also think they are not a loner fish and like their own company.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 02:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
Jimbooo,

A last thought... did you have any wood in the tank? Ancistrus, hypostomus and other sucker mouth catfish frequently require wood as part of their diet.

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 07:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jimbooo
----------
Small Fry
male cyprus
Yes, I did have wood in the tank. I have a nice thick piece of drift wood sitting at the bottom of the tank.

Cheers

Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 02:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies