Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhite lips on lemon tetras
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 6
female usa
Just bought 4 lemons yesterday, to go with the 3 I already had. I noticed that 2 or 3 of the new ones appear to have white lips. Not fuzzy, just white. On one fish, both lips are white, while on 2 others it seems just the upper lip is white. The ones I had before don't have this coloration, so it doesn't look normal.

Unsure if I am dealing with bacteria or fungus here, or just different coloration of fish (the 4 new ones are all larger than the 3 original.

I've done 2 doses of Melafix, one yesterday, one today. Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks in advance!
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 21:58Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
I don't think it is anything serious, I've seen this on my own lemon tetras. I assume that the white mouth is caused by either nipping at each other, or maybe a minor infection which is brought on by stress. In either case, Melafix or water changes seem to make the white color go away. I prefer the water changes because I'm not a fan of adding chemicals to my tank.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 03:47Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thanks, yeah they've been under some stress lately. Just arrived at LFS on Saturday then I got them on Monday. They are kind of rough looking - as though their fins have been nipped at. I bought them anyway since their color was really good and they are pretty big.
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 04:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
It might not be nipping it might be finrot. Fin nipping often starts fungal infections off, causing mucus membranes to be breached and allowing the fungus to take hold. White lips are often a sign of fungal infection, so I would be ready with antifunguls just in case. If the fins are that raggy I might be tempted to treat them pre-emptively. Melafix might well knock symptoms on the head, but I might choose to have a more powerful medication in reserve. It could also be the beginning of columnaris, in which case white mouths and raggy fins are expected, and you might need to get hold of a potent antibacterial, possibly even antibiotics for a bad outbreak.
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 08:52Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Ok, I don't know if this pic is helpful at all; it's the best I could get.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/moja1101/detail?.dir=/ec67&.dnm=ea67scd.jpg&.src=ph

I've been taking the wait-and-see approach, doing Melafix and did a water change. However, I thought one of the lemons looked a bit worse today so I called the LFS. He said he hasn't seen any problem with the remaining lemons he has. He agreed that maybe an antibiotic was the way to go.

As for their fins, yea they're raggedy - but they're clear. No white stuff that would indicate fungus.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Do you feed them crushed snails (or anything else sharp)? I find that when my fish ate too many of them, they would cut their lips on the shell fragments, and their lips would appear white.

It was not an infection though, and if I didn't feed them snails for a few days the lips would return to normal.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 04:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
No, they just get flakes and dried brine shrimp, the occasional frozen bloodworms. I've only had them for 4 days though, so no telling what they were doing before that.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 04:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
It does look like a bit of abrasion and lip fungus. The fungus may be softening the lips and making abrasion more likely. Try a bit of melafix to start with and see if the fish picks up in a couple of weeks, failing that go with some more powerful antifungals.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 11:34Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thanks guys! Will try that.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 18:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Update:
I've been doing melafix since I got the fish, and two definitely look like their upper lips are worn away. Now one has a (maybe 1 cm wide) white patch on his back.

I'm going to try to get to the store today for an antibiotic. The guy there suggested 3x sulfa - does that sound right? I am trying to figure out whether this is bacterial or fungal, but I'm a bit confused. Some people seem to refer to "mouth fungus" and columnaris interchangeably, and I see antifungal meds recommended for bacterial infections.???

Doesn't make sense to me...
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2006 21:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
It occurred to me, I also have some Kordon Rid Ich plus. It says, "for control of diseases caused by protozoan, dinoflagellate, and fungal infections". I wonder if that would work?
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2006 21:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
Finding out the difference between fungus and columnaris visually is always a problem, they look almost identical , except perhaps that columnaris tends to be more aggressive, but that depends on the immune system of the fish. I think the whole "mouth" thing in the description of ailments is a bit misleading, because frankly, columnaris and fungus can strike anywhere on the body, and may never even infect the mouth. Its not really a characteristic symptom.

Since its spreading , id go for both an antibacterial and an antifungal med, if you can find treatments from the same range of medications that are tested to be compatible , so much the better.Its probably better not to spend time worrying about the cause when widely available and compatible meds are in lfs's. Just treat for both, time is always a factor in these infections.

If kordon rid ich doesnt specifically mention columnaris bacteria in its remit, Id assume it may have no effect, so while it may be fine to use it for a possible fungal infection, id be looking for an antibacterial to treat the columnaris if indeed its possible that that might be the cause.
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 17:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
beetledance
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thanks, LHG! Very helpful.

I got some Maracyn and I'm on day 4 of treating with that. I see no improvement so I guess I may have to try the antifungal. I was trying to avoid using the Kordon's b/c it stained the silicone in my other tank blue!
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 18:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies