L# lemon tetra :(
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribelemon tetra :(
reun
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 216
male usa
as of this morning one of my lemon tetras has a growth on the outside of his eye, its in the front of his right eye. it is not on the eye itself, but more barely touching the eye on the corner closest to his mouth.

well, the lump is about 2mm around and is his skin color, he isnt blind in that eye, but he is having problems seeing around the lump. there is no sign of attack but the lil guy seems very nervous and twitchy,poor thing. all the others seem ok though. im afraid i got a parasite from the bolivian ram i just added to the tank, any ideas? please tell me this isnt contagous, i dont have a quaranteen tank right now, only the 6 gallon my beta is in right now,and something tells me a solo lemon tetra wont recover well with a male siamese fighting fish in the same small space as him.

HELP!!!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:35Profile PM Edit Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
i hate to bump, but can anyone help me? i just discovered it this morning and i need to treat it or something as soon as i can if its a parasite or infiection because i have no tank to quaranteen him to...i do not wish to lose all my fish...please? anyone?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
oh good lord i hope it isnt neon tetra disease...he isnt as active, he just sits by himself not schooling, twitching his fins. the fins arent clamped and he is very brightly colored, no color loss...just the cyst close to the eye and his stressed and odd behavior.
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
i am really not 100% shure put it could possibly be a tumor... Its tough to treat but find a vet (or equvilent) and ask about an iodine treatment. (remember i am not 100% shuyre.

best of luck

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:35Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
i have no vets in the area that deal with fish...if it is a tumour, what causes it? is it a contagious disease? if i cant find treatment how long does the fish have? will he live or is he suffering? it only took about 12 hours for it to appear cause he was fine last night?????
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
I really can't be sure what your tetra has, but it doesn't seem like it will be a big problem. It isn't neon tetra disease, and does not sound like it will be contagious. From your description, the fish seems like it is still pretty healthy despite this small growth. If the tetra was really in bad shape, it would definitely be noticeable.

Since no one has been able to diagnose this yet, the only treatment I can suggest is water changes. They're always handy, and can often make problems go away without any added medications. If you do figure out what the fish has and need to medicate, it will help to have done the pre-treatment water changes in advance.

Just to check, what are your water parameters?

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
REMEMBER im not 100% shure

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:35Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
no ppm of nitrate, 7.0 ph, weekly water changes, i havent had water hardness tested recently, but i get RO water from the same fish store, and hardness is soft at about 12ish DH...

and yes, its very odd, other than stressed he seems healthy and colorfull, and the growth materialised within about 10-12 hours...over night....so, im scared its a parasite. i hope he isnt dead when i get home from work tonight
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
well, no one i talk to knows anything about it. if it was a contagious form of the cysts or tumours it would have spread through the tank, so far he is the only one affected and his condition hasnt worsened. its the same.

no one knows anything about it and i spent 3 hours googling it and came up with absalutely nothing.

i can only hope its non lethal, non transmitable, and will go away on its own...sigh.
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
i've had mollies with tumors before, (if that is what it is) they don't spread to other fish... (you cant catch cancer from someone who has cancer can you?) anywho.. if the fish seems to be doing okay despite having a lump on its face, then it'll prolly be okay.

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:35Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
fish get old or sick and die. it's part of the great honour of keeping fish as healthy as possible, to allow them to die of old age - in the wild, your tetra would already be dead by now, eaten by another fish or a bird. most (touch wood) of my fish die of old age, and i euthanase them when they get too frail. a lot of them grow tumors. sometimes the rest of the school will turn on a sick fish and harrass it to death, which is only to protect themselves (a sick fish is a liability) but often the old fish just hangs out alone alot of the time while the school behaves as normal.

leave it another day or so - but i doubt it's catching.
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
good news!!! today the mysterious lump is almost gone... still no affected fish, peramiters still stable, he is still colorfull,eating,and schooling.

i still cant figure out what it was,lol...at least it looks like he will be ok
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Good to hear. Did you do any extra water changes, or did the lump just go away on its own?

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies