L# sad sevrun
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribesad sevrun
andyandbecki
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 1
hi all,
moved house at the weekend, and sevrum is not well, sadly i lost one shortly after i had reset the tank, used the opputunity to do a 50% water change, kept external canister filters warm during the move parameters all normal 0 ammonia ph 7, now my gold sev is just sitting at the bottom gasping but not realy bad and very slightly of balance, raised the temp last night by a degree to 82 but still no change, what concerns me is the slight of balance, wont move unless has too and wont eat

any ideas?

lights off since move
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 15:05Profile PM Edit Report 
skystrife

-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 132
Votes: 37
male usa us-illinois
andyandbecki,

If you just moved, there's a high chance that your tank is going through another cycle or mini-cycle. What do your nitrItes read? A higher nitrite level results in less oxygen being absorbed in the fish's blood, which could be what we're seeing here.

Also, how different was the water chemistry from your old home in terms of pH, KH, and gH? A radically different hardness (gH) could have caused some stress if not acclimated very slowly.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 15:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
For now, I would keep on as you are. Keep the water topped
off. Over the next couple of days, I'd drop the temp back
down to normal, and observe the fish. Whatever went wrong,
it occurred due to the move. You don't say weather you
moved cross country, state, or city. It could be a
difference in water, it could have gotten cold.
The bacteria in the filter may have died off
without oxygen for a long period of time. You said you kept
it "warm" but that's not near as important as keeping
oxygen flowing through it.
Or, the fish simply panicked during the handling and the
move.
I'd not get carried away, and simply observe.

BTW, it would help to know what the values actually are
instead of "normal" the pH, GH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and
Nitrate values should be tested, and posted when asking.
Without them, we sort of have to "best guess" on a cause
or solution.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 15:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
andyandbecki
Small Fry
hi, i live in the uk and only moved to the next village std water parameters match the last village.

ammonia 0
ph 7
nitrate 5ppm
nitite 0

i think its just stress thou in the last half hour she is starting to lean more afloat but leaning if that makes sense.

i would guess shes about 3 now, had her a year and shes was mature when brought
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 15:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
andyandbecki
Small Fry
kh 100ppm
gh 210ppm
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 15:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
andyandbeck

Its not only the distance it is also the time it took from when you turned off the filter until you turned it on again.
I have had a power stoppage for over one hour and no problem but you also had the stress of shifting.

I would think it is certainly going through a mini cycle.
There are several products on the market today and one of the best would be Seachem Stability. This will boost your live bacteria. You can double dose for the two dosages and then follow the directions.

If my power goes off for several hours I will give a triple dose as soon as the power comes back on and I have never lost a fish. Apparently this product can be double dosed with out any problems at all. That does not mean do a double dose several times a day or every day.

If the fish are also showing any signs of stress I suggest you use as directed PimaFix this is a natural product and is certainly compatible with Stability.

Reduce the feeding by 50% and feed every second day this will help the good bacteria build up and not pollute your tank.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2010 00:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
andyandbecki
Small Fry
thanks all, being alittle ott with my tank it was the first thing we moved and got set up before anything else we moved and filled within an hour 1/2. so far so good today shes moving alittle more but still not feeding, thanks for everyones advice ill keep you all posted.

the sevrum i did loose was one of my first fish so was very old and i guess the stress was just too much.

hopefully she wil be fine, i have a feeling it may have been alittle ph shock and through a school boy error i did not test before we moved the tank the last test was agood few days before fingers crossed, thanks again!!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2010 12:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies