Subscribethe last time I had Ich...
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I treated with a malachite Green/formalin based med. It took me close to a month but I won!

This time, it seems to be a minor outbreak so far and I am using the same meds I treated with before. However, I have a male Betta and 8 harlequins and one GAE in the tank. Should/can I use some other external parasite type med along with the QuIck Cure (Malachite Green/Formalin med)?

I have this powder that is 250mg Metronizadole and 75 mg Praziquantel. Could I use that in conjunction with the other meds, or perhaps instead of the other meds?

I also have some Aquarisol for parasites, velvet and the like.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

(and yes, I have removed the carbon and raised the temp to the low 80s to speed the life cycle...)
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 02:40Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I would follow the exact method you used last time. This could easily be a totally new infection. Do you know how it was introduced? Mine comes through the water supply during the colder months this is the reason I store all my water for one week.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 04:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alaska
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 6
female usa
Is malachite green still on the market? I thought I heard somewhere that it has become unavailable due to causing you-know-what in the state of California?
Perhaps I'm thinking of something else.
In any case, the stuff is great for ich. Remember to do more frequent water changes with AGED water.

~~<><~~><>~~
"When push comes to shove, you gotta do what you love, even if it's not a good idea"
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 07:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
nah the cancer thing didnt cause it to be banned, i just bought some last week.

so it isnt off yet...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 08:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
I have recently bought Malachite Green based Ich meds here in Ohio. And there is a note on the label about the meds being found to cause Cancer in California. I did notice that the jug of Formalin is also reputed to cause Cancer in California. Since Formalin is also in the Ich Meds with the Green Malachite, perhaps its the formaldahyde and not the Green Malachite that is the potential Cancer risk.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 02:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Mixing meds is generally a bad idea.

You could switch to the other powder directly as the metro can kill ich, however I think you'd be better off sticking with the quick cure.

I suspect there is something in your setup that is reducing the effectiveness of the drug, cause it shouldn't take a month to get results, especially if you've put it on fast forward with the heater.

Do you have a lot of driftwood and mulm? Are you running a UGF?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
well, the last time I treated for Ich was severeal months ago, in a diff tank, and while the spots disappeared after a week or so, I kept treating for a few weeks because I never seemed to get the Ich gone for good, it would always come back after stopping treatment. So, I kept on treating.

This time, the spots went away in a few days, I am still treating at day number 8.

I think I will stop and do a 25% WC and throw some carbon in the filter now, and see how we do.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 05:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies