Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeALL cats love sinking pellets
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I was feeding my cory cats & other fish the sinking shrimp pellets one night when I set the open container on the bottom shelf of the stand for a minute. Before I knew it one of the house cats had his head in it munching away! Everyday since then he comes around at feeding time begging for more! Also one of the other house cats has learned that catfish feeding time is also house cat feeding time. I give just one or two of the tiny pellets to the house cats.

When ever I wanted to catch one of the house cats (ex.- to give medicine) & it wouldn't come out from under the bed, I would have to open a can of tuna to coax it out. Next time I will just reach for the can of fish pellets & see if that works.

Just in case some people weren't aware of this......... I thought it might be interesting to some of the cat lovers. Nothing earth shattering............ I just find some of the simpler things in life to be amusing.

Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2006 17:50Profile PM Edit Report 
Light_Bright

---------------
Kudos: 1403
Votes: 351
female canada ca-novascotia
I have to keep my shrimp pellets in a cupboard with a latch. My cat will go for them and once when she ate half a can she had the runs for two days.

If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2006 23:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Aaahhhh.......... so apparently some cat lovers on FP already know about the "cat food"! I shouldn't laugh............. I wouldn't have wanted to clean up after the cat those two days! But yes, I assumed they would be too rich to give too many to a cat. So far mine haven't been as determined as yours.!. They see where I keep it in a basket on the bottom shelf, but no trespassers so far. I even gave them a nibble of the algea wafers & they ate that also! (yes, I feed my cats)
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2006 00:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
That is too funny!

I dont have any cats, but my dogs do beg for fish food when I feed the fish. They sit and stare at me like I'm supposed to feed them some flakes and pellets too. Then they sniff the floor just in case I dropped something.

Do your cats stare at your fish tanks?

I always like to see people's pictures of their cats eyeing their fish.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2006 17:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Hi Girl

My cats don't stare at my tanks. When I first set them up they were curious, but it didn't last long. They seem to notice the tv. more than the tanks? It's too busy around here for anything to keep their interest for long. I have 5 cats & 4 dogs.........all are allowed inside.

Yes, my dogs also noticed me feeding the fish & wanted their turn. The fish food is so little that soon they decided it wasn't worth it & saved their begging for the bigger regular doggie treats.

My cats act as the clean up crew if I drop anything. My clean up crew taking care of things after I feed the other "clean up crew."

Yeah, I like to see those pictures too! You ought to post in the forum, "Wanted: Pictures of cats watching fish." Most peopke like to show off their tanks & their cats, so I would think there would be no problem getting pictures. May take a little time though, cause as we all know, the subjects never cooperate when you're trying to take a picture!

Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2006 18:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
We have(had) two cats. Our 14 year old Tabby passed a
couple of years ago. Every time I would take the hood and
glass top off the tank for water changes, she would jump to
the top of the tank and stand on the rim with three legs
and go "fishing" with the fourth swiping at the fish as
they would swim by her. Though I waited, watched, and
laughed, she never did fall in.
Our remaing cat "supervises" my water changes, from an
over looking computer hutch, but wouldn't let a drop of
water touch her if her life depended on it!

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2006 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
EditedEdited by crazyred
I have two cats and they never stare at the tank much, but my little peach & white cat, Arctic, loves to "chase" the water flow through the Python hose. He goes nuts and chases the stream of water, swiping at leaves or debris as it passes by. It hilarious to watch. He also hangs around at feeding time....I think he likes the smell of fish food.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2006 18:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

You didn't have an oscar tank DID you Frank? I love that clip on funniest home videos where the cat is up there & the oscar nips at the cat & it falls in & then scrambles to get out! I'd bet money that cat never walked that rim again, let alone bothering the fish!

Hey Red! I bet that would be funny to watch! Maybe some day I can see that sight myself. Hoping to get a Python. Christmas IS coming up. The cat hangs around at feeding time? Well, if you really want it to be a pain, just start feeding it a sinking shrimp pellet each time.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2006 20:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Yeah, I know he would drive me nuts. I did sprinkle out some fish flakes for him once, but he just sniffed them and went away...leaving a mess for me to clean up.

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2006 20:30Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Well, not all cats love shrimp pellets. I tried feeding them to both of my cats last night and neither one of them would eat them. I must have the weirdest cats in the world!

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 18:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Na...... all cats are wierd Red. Each one is different as you've noticed.I tried the flakes on one of mine & he ate it out of my hand licking it up. He didn't care for the dried baby brine shrimp though.

I have some cats that will practically eat out of your plate trying to get a few bites of meat, while a couple of them won't hardly eat any meat that you offer to them.

Three of mine go in out of a closed bedroom door often. One will stick it's paw under the door to try & pry it open...... another will just meow to get in or out......... and the third one will stand on it's back legs & tap on the door knob with it's front paws is if it's trying to open it.

Can you imagine the no. of posts we would get if we asked people how wierd their cat was?
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 07:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
My current cat (I gave the mother to my mom she was too loud) likes to make sure the fish are alive by jumping onto the pond in the living room. "No Nadia, DOWN" she still does it though although she does get off the pond eventually. And always watches the pond being fed, could care less about the tank though. I dont think she liked her first experience of reaching up to bat at a fish and meeting glass .

As for weird...she'll play fetch with me .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 16:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
just beginning

---------------
----------
Literature Nerd
Kudos: 1380
Votes: 198
female australia au-queensland
Yep, my cat's obsessed with fish food as well. Open the can and she turns crazy. She will whack my hand to try and get me to drop it, and then bite my hand - I think she'd eat it if she had half a chance, just to get at the pellets.

I think she's got a bit of an addictive personality actually - she also likes to sniff paint, glue and Niko pens. I've seen her rub her face all over a piece of paper that had fresh Niko on it. And if I use high-chlorine mould killer in the bathroom, she will always be found mooning over the tiles, her paws spread straight out on either side, happily wiping her face over everything and with a glazed look in her eyes.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 18:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Wow babel! There I go with wow again but this site keeps amazing me! You have a pond in the living room! Ultimate fantasy! I would also have a waterfall going into the pond!

Hi beginning. - I wonder if there is shrimp in cat food........can't remember & our bag is thrown away as we keep the cat food in another container. A little bit in it would apparently make the cats really love it!

Ok........... in my opinion seeking out chemical scents wins out for wierd over playing fetch! My cats, as well as dogs want nothing to do with chemical scents! Sounds like you have a regular dope head on your hands! Have you tried cat nip with that cat?
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 18:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Speaking of crazy cats....mine is trying to hatch a dog house. Check it out:

Attached Image:

~~Melissa~~
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2006 20:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2006 22:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies