FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Off Topic
 L# The Recovery Room
  L# Do we need another superhero movie?
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDo we need another superhero movie?
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Yes?
No?

On imdb.com today (20 Mar 07) there was talk of a Captain Marvel movie. (Shazam! - Jake Gyllenhaal) Gee I hope it's a working title. btw the punctuation is theirs not mine.

So what is the feeling?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 05:34Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
I am SO BORED with superheroes! Especially the Marvel ones.

Its like the 90's and the sci-fi fixation, the naughties are all stinking superheroes!

And its not that some of them aren't good, but most of them are totally formulaic and so 'hollywood' that the thing that drew people to the comics in the first place is dead and gone

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 07:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
Superhero - NO
Jake Gyllenhaal - YES

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 07:22Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
spider man, i wish i could quit you!!!

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 09:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
I'd like superhero movies if they were done better.

Superman was just pants.

Spiderman could have been better id spiderman didnt keep acting like a teenager and grew like he did in the comic, its making toby mcguire look like he cant act, and he has a funny mouth. The casting and costume for the green goblin especially was bloody awful.Sam Raimi's direction was the only thing that saved it. ps i dont think kirsten dunst is pretty enough to be MJ no matter how "hot she is right now".

X-men - soundly ruined by brian singer, and made actually quite boring. Too understated, and some of the casting was dire.Namely storm (halle berry was the worst, she turned storm into a comlete flake), rogue (that pacula girl is just the wrong person entirely and couldnt fight her way out of a paper bag), magneto, xavier( patric stewart was wrong, they should have gone for someone more like yul brynner),jean grey (just not enough), sabretooth (rubbish costume too), and nightcrawler (a swashbutler played by alan cummings -oh puh-lease!) . None of them delivered on the comic character premise.It turned into a partially boring college flick.We'll let huh jackman off, even if he is too tall by a foot.

Spawn -it was just lousy really.

Daredevil, the worst of them all- ben affleck was miscast and that costume was ridiculous. The combat scenes and diving from roofs stuff was just unbelievably manufactured.

Hulk. Too much cg, and a character depiction that was too sympathetic.They made him look like an outsized shrek , rather than the font of rage that is supposed to be the hulk. Eric bana was wasted in the role. The shooting style was just plain silly.

Blade- better than the blaxploitation comic, but generally fizzled out. Number three was truly terrible.

Fantastic four- oh god what can I say? It was miscast, shoddily directed, horribly acted, the fx were godawful, they messed with the plot, and choosing the chap from nip/tuck to play doctor doom was a masterstroke of pure idiocy.

V for vendetta was tolerable, if not actually brilliant.

Constantine, was actually ok, but keanu is a bit limited to play the lead.

Hellboy, is surprisingly good, but even then the cg monsters were a bit dodgy, and it could have been darker.It was as most of them arent- at least a bit fun.

Sin city, was good, but had a few dodgy acting performances. Michael madson was particularly bad.Mickey rourke, benecio del toro, and bruce willis just about pulled it through.

Electra deserves no mention at all.

Batman begins was the first tolerable batman, christian bale is really too good for the role. Jared leto added nothing, and even liam neeson was too formulaic.The other batman movies were bloody terrible, and among some of the most miscast of all time. I'll never forgive tim burton for setting the tone.

Basically when they give the hero's back the integrity, give them the kickass powers and the nastier plotlines make a decent effort to do the costumes without them just being replaced by black leather, I might actually enjoy them more. I feel like ive been waiting for a good superhero movie since I was four years old.
Hollywood neuters superheros. They really dont know what children read or enjoy either. They generally like what the adults like, and that means not dumbing down plots and characterisations. I hate it when they do that.As for the spoof superhero movies and kiddies versions, well if I had a small red mercury plutonium device to bomb those film studios with, I would!

I demand ridley scott!

Is there any way we can stop brian singer, possibly the most boring man on earth, from being allowed anywhere near the superhero genre? Becuase he's boring people assume he must know comics or something, but take it from me- he doesnt.

He did for the superhero genre what the directors of "star trek the next generation" did for the start trek genre. They turned it into a nasty infection of "social workers in space". I hate it, I hate it, i hate it!
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 09:40Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
Superman - did NOT have to do another. nobody can ever come close to christopher reeves
Spiderman - one was enough
X-men - ruined it, good concept but done totally wrong
Spawn - was good, but was done to early, should have waited for better cgi.
Daredevil - bad casting
Hulk - easy, Sucked. to dark, way waaaaaaay over cartoony
Blade - first 2 was ok
Fantastic four - uh come on, lets get better characters or not do it
Constantine - never read comic, thought it was ok
Hellboy - never read comic, but was good
Batman begins - did they have to start over?
TMNT - already done, wasnt great but, didn't have to be remade
Iron man - lets wait and see how they screw this up
Punisher - original movie sucked. remake was alot better. hope they dont screw up the sequal
ghost rider - didnt see it yet. looks to be ok from trailers

blame it on holly wood and the people who are all money hungry greedy fools. I grew up reading any and every comic made. This comic to movie frenzy has gone to far. to many directors have gotten ahold of good comics and in my opinion, ruined them. They are all going with, well I can do this or that better.

IMO, if they want to do a movie on a comic, either follow the books and character bios to 10000% or do it totally different, not a little of everything and then add their own touch.

It will eventually die when the greedy ones fine another tunnel to dig and exploit. I'm curious to see how they ruin the ideal of the transformers this summer. yes I plan on seeing it, but by the trailers so far, i'm not that impressed. They've changed alot of the characters to be "policitally correct". Who cares? its a dam cartoon/comic to real time movie? and as far as the movie title, "Transformers The Movie"? Sorry, I seen that one in the 80s and loved it and still watch it today.

but since their going at it and turning any comic they an into movies, what about doing others, like Ren and Stimpy, or another Beavis and Butthead movie? hell go back further, what Archie and friends? lol

Ok enough from me, or I could be here all day and night lol

over all. Yes and No, either create new concepts or do an original Right as it was created.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 12:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
EditedEdited by Doedogg
I totally can not see Jake Gyllenhaal as a super hero.
Anyone remember the TV show The Greatest American Hero? THAT I would love to see made into a movie! As for the rest of them that Git and Monkeyboy listed, for the most part I did like V for Vendetta & Batman Begins. The rest were at best.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 13:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
Punisher - original movie sucked. remake was alot better. hope they dont screw up the sequal

Thomas Jane makes me happy

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 13:39Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Doedogg.... i loved that tv show. I'm actually looking to get it on dvd.. and i'd hope they leave it alone. if they did, they'd make it all PC and screw it up

oh... i forgot to add... even tho it was a video game to movie, but the Doom movie... putting this as clean as possible. Plot was very baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. CGi and everything was good tho. and can hope they make the halo movie right

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 14:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Racso
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Some Assembly Required
Kudos: 1442
Votes: 35
male usa us-ohio
EditedEdited by Racso
it seems to me that what most of this is boiling down to:

if you are comic reader or at least did read them, you generally don't like the movies

if you are not, you seem to like the movies

Hollywood struggles to make awesome movies that are based off a small fan base. They have two options, make little profit and make a perfect movie in the die hard comic reader's eye, OOORRR make more money off a general fan base plus others. hmmm... what do you think they'll do.

Now there is no reason for crappy CGI. If your movie sucks because your computers suck, that's your own fault.

Not to mention that a comic can develoup a character over the course of MANY MANY comics. A movie doesn't have the time to do that. Who is going to sit in a theater for 1.5 hours to see why Peter Parker is the way that he is, and then have 15 minutes of Spidy beating up a guy?

This is where the Matrix Trilogy had problems. It was a very deep movie, and possibly too deep for most movie goers. Many, many, many, MANY things are explained in the "Animatrix" and the "Enter the Matrix" game. The problem is that most movie goers don't play video games nor have interest in anime, thus most of the movie leaves you... duhhhhh.... what? however, you cannot to any degree deny it is simply eye-candy to the max as far as movies go

Another problem is that in order to explain some issues, you have to use part of the movie to get to that point. Take spiderman for example. how much time of the movie was wasted develouping the Green Goblin? However, it HAD to be done.
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 15:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I didn't ever get into the comics, they really weren't big in my area/generation, but yeah, the movies are just missing that edge. I don't know what it is, but as a general moviegoer I don't think a bit more intricacy would have damaged their attendance. It probably would have even upped their DVD sales.

The fantastic Four THAT could have been brilliant. Fell short on both commercial appeal and on geek appeal :

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 15:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
I liked the first matrix, but I think the other movies wimped out on the premise.We were heading for something special and it turned into cheap psychology.We didnt want to see them reinforce the matrix at the end, the human psyche demands freedom, and what they did was just reinforce the fantasy equivalent of the work ethic and social conformity.

Trouble with spiderman is that per film they arent giving parker the leaps to maturity. Toby mcguire plays him the one way and its boring, They need someone who can do a better grown up, more flamboyant emotions job. In fact I think Jake gyllenhaal should replace him. He looks the part and can probably act it too.

Ill agree on the punisher. Thomas jane beats dolph lundgren into the ground. My girlfriends drools on sight too. Its not a bad movie, and its loaded with dark humour. Any excuse to see roy scheider on screen too. John travolta was the let down bit. John has cool credability that just ran out. Hes just a lazy actor now.

Id agree on the CGI point too. I think people should try to work in live action as much as possible and do the job with good cinematography or crisp direction. If cgi isnt up to the job, they should think their way around it, not just throw it in because its expected.

I thought the crow was pretty good too, if only for the cast of baddies who were brilliant. Brandon lee was great for the role physically, but im not sure he does the gothic death misery feeling justice. If anyone has read j obarrs comic, its MUCH darker than the movie. It was a bit like watching a mallrat play death. It got overglorified cos brandon died. The crow was good, but not THAT good.

I agree with callatya though, if they stop messing with the comic formula, stop trying to explain origination stories every episode, and let the character explain themselves just by convincing acting and a good script and nice direction itll be fine. Most comic heros have a reader fanbase numbering in the billions. I think it would be better just taking a slice of time out of a heros life, for instance in x-men they could have done "the days of future past" stuff - when I saw how they did the sentinels head in the previews I had a feeling x-men was about to come of age, I saw the movie, and it was, pretty low key and low horror compared to what it could have been.

I think if hollywood basically accepts the fact that billions of people know the origination stories and gets on with the plot after that point things will be better. I mean ,is there a man woman or child alive on planet earth that doesnt know how superman got his powers? Do they really have to do it again?

Its the same with computer games turned movies too. like Final Fantasy the spirits within. It sucked. It looked amazing but the plot was turned into a cheap "alien" copy with ghosts thrown in and a bit of amateur gaia theory. It had nothing of the originality or sense of invention that is so vivid in the games.

It was low concept, and stylistically inferior to the games. At least FF advent children was better, but even then that was formulaic manga compared to the other parts of the ff games like ff 8 , 9, and x, that were more immersive worlds, and far more original in style and content. I often think ff9 would have made the best original movie, its appeal would have been massive. They didnt do guardian forces either. That is a serious faux pas. We wanted big huge monsters throwing meteors at each others heads, and foul demons from the bowels of the earth, it would have been fantastic! At least ff advent children did do bahamut -king of dragons, and that was very cool.Theres a fine line between awesome and silly, and hollywood hasnt learned to manage it yet. I blame lack of imagination.
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 19:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
stop messing with the comic formula, stop trying to explain origination stories every episode

exactly. i mean if they did that with every comic to movie made, it would take forever. With this day and age, just make the movie, and if a movie goer wants more back story on whomever, let them get on their computer and research it.

At least their doing something smart with x-men. as i've seen word of spinning off wolverine so he can "rediscover" his roots and not keep that story tied in with the x-men series.

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 19:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
I think thats a good idea, and worth giving perhaps a 15 or 18 rating to. If youve ever seen the "weapon x" episodes of x-men in "marvel presents" the story was gold, it was like a storyboarded movie anyway. It was mean , vicious and bloody, and the art by barry windsor smith gave it that fleshy dark feeling that wolverine needs to have , as a character he needs that level of suffering for his nobility to shine through, and to explain basically why (not that the public will know it thanks to that churl brian singer) why he is a bit of a kill crazy animal psychopath.

We'll see how they do eh?
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 20:01Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I Comic Books.... I Marvel Movies

I don't like how some of them are being made into sequal after sequal after sequal after sequal... I'll probubly see the 3rd Spidy movie, but after that I probubly won't... I bet they make at least six of them :/

Inky
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 20:16Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
longhairedgit..... wolverine movie is next year and is supposed to cover his beginning issues with sabretooth and then reveal how he became who he is, then jump to after he forgot and showing him rediscover himself... or something like that... IMDB has info on it

but the "weapon X" comics... i loved them. i still have all of my few thousand books. but the only problem with that, is that with how weak everybody has become when it comes to the gore in movies, they wouldnt make it as dark as the comics were.

inkling... thats because theres so many bad guys to put the good guys against, that they could go on for many sequeals... my only hope, is that with Venom in the next spider man, that if they (or when) a 4th one comes out, venom doesnt play along and they just spin him off or dont string it along. 1 bad guy ina movie is enough, add a 3rd and theres to much side plot to follow

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 20:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
I'll probubly see the 3rd Spidy movie, but after that I probubly won't... I bet they make at least six of them :/

i think they had at least 6 spiderman titles going at the same time, so they have to make at least that many sequels to the movie!!

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jason_R_S

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 2421
Votes: 391
male usa us-indiana
I am SO BORED with superheroes! Especially the Marvel ones.

actually Captain Marvel, ironically enough, is owned by DC Comics and not Marvel. He was on an episode of Justice League Unlimited in its 4th or 5th season (can't remember for sure which season it was but it was one of those 2).

I don't know much about Capt. Marvel so I'm not really all that interested in the movie though I'm sure I'll check it out (maybe when it goes to the dollar theater ).

I can't wait for The Dark Knight (sequel to Batman Begins). BB was probably the best, and my favorite, movie adaptation of a comic book hero. And yes, they did have to re-start the franchise so that we the fans can actually have some good movies to watch and not the mis-cast, horribly written garbage that we got from Burton and Schumacher. Actually Burton's 2 movies weren't quite as bad as the other 2 but they were still pretty bad.

I did like Superman Returns but it wound up being too campy (like the originals from 70's/80's). I was hoping for a more evil Lex Luthor than a campy rehash of Hackman's performance. I think Spacey can do a great job of bringing the actual evil out of Luthor the way he should be. Heck, the Lex Luthor from the cartoons was more evil and serious than the movie version. Hopefully they'll be more serious with the sequel.

I am intrigued by the Wonder Woman movie that is in progress (no casting done yet) and there is also a Justice League movie that has been green-lighted but probably won't be out till around 2010 but that should be interesting as well.

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 04:32Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
"actually Captain Marvel, ironically enough, is owned by DC Comics and not Marvel. He was on an episode of Justice League Unlimited in its 4th or 5th season (can't remember for sure which season it was but it was one of those 2)."

Sort of. Mar-vell also goes by that name, and is indeed a Marvel creation. JLU had only three seasons. The Batson vs. Supe episode was in either the third or the second.

In any case, although I'll admit B. Begins was good, I did not find Christian Bale a suitable man for the role...he can portray the angsty side of Bruce without a doubt, but the intensity and the acute, often caustic, sarcasm is lost on him. Similarly, the sly and witty spidey was shattered by Toby Maguire, and I fail to see how Topher Grace will play a convincing Brock, but he's a decent actor, so no hard feelings---yet. Regardless, superhero movies rock, and even though I'm a comic fan (DC), I still enjoy them, even if they aren't cinematic masterpieces, simply because they're quite cool. Also, props to whoever said that Hellboy was good.
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 06:00Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
"It was low concept, and stylistically inferior to the games. At least FF advent children was better, but even then that was formulaic manga compared to the other parts of the ff games like ff 8 , 9, and x, that were more immersive worlds, and far more original in style and content. I often think ff9 would have made the best original movie, its appeal would have been massive."

FF's stopped being good after 7. So much hype was injected into the series following 7's widespread popularity that the line became cfar too fan-servicey for my tastes (don't even start with X-2).

Also, The Matrices, while good movies, were oversensationalized, and the Wachowski (sp?) brothers are not my favorite directors (let's face it, they're a couple of nuts), not to mention that the movie paled, IMO, to its uncredited mould, Dark City.
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 06:10Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies