sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Does anyone know of a good site which has official descriptions of fish, as well as good articles and papers? I'm looking for a place where I can do some serious research, and even learn about the environment in which certain fish species live. Are there any journals that I can subscribe to for the same sort of thing? I'm really starting to get serious about the hobby, and I want to be able to learn even more about my favorite varieties of fish. In-depth information is what I'm searching for, my brain is hungry!

I appreciate the help!

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:30Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
JQW
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 758
male australia
i think aquarticles is a nice site
or just search up google

Last edited by JQW at 06-Apr-2005 20:26
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:30Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Instead of just using Google, use Google Scholar instead. It will turn up research papers, etc. It was recommended to me by Anthony Calfo. [link=http://www.scholar.google.com]http://www.scholar.google.com" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link]

[hr width='40%']
Ever since the day you went away
And left me lonely and cold
My life just hasn't been the same
Oh baby no
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:30Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Fishbase has descriptions for every fish there is a description for Recommended by my ichthyology professor last semester

Hopfully that will work for you... unfortunately it's currently loading an empty screen for me. Normally works great. Fishbase is pretty much *the* repository of ichthyological descriptions. Have fun on there. The only downside is it can be a little overwhelming...

Last edited by superlion at 06-Apr-2005 22:54

><>
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Science databases I used for biology at university;

http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/search/advanced

Below are the names of some journals. Use the names from below to do a google search with (it works, I used a few in Google just to check)

Aquatic conservation : marine and freshwater ecosystems

Advances in marine biology

Bulletin of the Marine Observatory

Handbook of marine science

Marine and freshwater research

Good luck to you and good for you for stretching your brain.

LEGEND

Last edited by wish-ga at 06-Apr-2005 23:35

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
male usa us-virginia
I appreciate all the links and suggestions! This will help me with my research, and keep me busy for a good while. Thanks a lot!

And, DRO, how do you access the articles that Google Scholar brings up? I can get as far as [link=here]http://www.scholar.google.com/scholar?q=corydoras&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;hl=en" style="COLOR: #808080[/link], but I don't know where to go to actually view the stuff.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
littlemousling
---------------
---------------
Conchiform
female usa
You can't see those 'cause they're just citations from other works, I'm afraid. I had the same problem (luckily, the book I needed was returned to the library early), they should probably script it to skip citations if you prefer that.

-Molly
Visit shelldwellers.com!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Cory_Di
---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 2917
Votes: 25
female usa
How about books, Books?

What books do you have? There are, for example, books quite thick full of nothing but corydoras species. I believe they get into their origin, breeding, etc.

[link=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0866224416/qid=1112888382/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-9481682-0079139?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0866224416/qid=1112888382/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-9481682-0079139?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846" style="COLOR: #C000C0[/link]
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
male usa us-virginia
I've only got two books so far (though the Aqualog All L-Number book is pretty helpful), but I'm going to buy more. Trouble is, none of the ones at work are very good. I guess I'll have to turn to the Internet, where I bought the Aqualog tome.

Just to clarify, I'm not researching just Corydoras catfish. I don't even care about cories, I can quit them any time I want. They don't have any kind of hold on me whatsoever.

Cory_Di
---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 2917
Votes: 25
female usa
- You'll never spot the best fish books in stores, from my experience. However, I did get my Aquarium Fishes of the World at Barnes &amp; Noble.

If you go to Amazon and type in Aquarium, you'll find all kinds of stuff. My library is bulging.

However, I find that most stuff written anyplace doesn't come close to satisfying my apetite.

I love the kind of material most people would find dull. . Books that some would find dull, that are richer and chock-ful-o-science include the following (from my library).

Ecology of the Planted Aquarium

Fish Disease - Diagnosis and Treatment

I have about 20 books in all and these are the most sophisticated of the bunch. These dig deepest into their respective areas than any other books that I've seen. The fish disease book....."heavy" would be an understatement. All you need is a microscope and supplies to go with it Definitely college level, as well as the other link I provided.

I will add a website to your collection tho. I do like using the University of Florida Extension's vast info and some of it is indepth too.....dadgummit! - I'm getting errors and none of the pages are coming up. That's been happening for days. I hope they haven't gone offline with it. What a loss. :#(

Last edited by Cory_Di at 07-Apr-2005 11:43
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies