AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# What to put in a standard 4 foot.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat to put in a standard 4 foot.
Darthannihl8or
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 140
Votes: 20
male australia
Some of you may remember that I did some work setting up my school aquarium. Well the new year is upon is and I would like to change the stocking in the tank.

One thing that I thought could be better was I wanted something that would grow quickly.

The tanks is 40g so I was thinking maybe a severum (2 if they'll fit) and some sort of larger tetras.

Can people please through up some ideas of what to try some conditions are:

-Nothing too expensive (fish budget isn't that large)
-Nothing that will hide (we want the children to see it)
-No special diets, we only want to feed it flakes and pellets.
-Something that you can get in Australia, easily.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile ICQ PM Edit Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Well for larger tetras, I'd have to say congos, or maybe show sized black skirts. Not sure of the availability over there in Oz though. I would think that 2 full grown severums could outgrow a 40 gallon...*does research*

EDIT: Yeah, I just read the severum profile, which says here that they can almost reach the 8" mark. Why don't you go with some dwarf cichlids like keyholes or rams instead, and then a biggish tetra or barbs or something? And you could have a shoal of one of the larger corydoras cats on the bottom, I think that'd work nicer.

Last edited by Ferretfish at 19-Jan-2005 06:35

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Severums get to be around 8 inches, so you would be pushing it even with just 1.
If you did want to do this, you could use Buenos Aires Tetras- they are pretty, large enough to avoid being eaten by the severum, school nicely, and are very active.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
labrakitty
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 9
female australia
In Australia you can get Congos, black skirts and most tetras. Rarely seen lemon and diamond though. I'd go with a sort of community tetra tank. Like lots of schools of tetras. so then the kids could watch them crossing over each other.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
labrakitty
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 9
female australia
What about a few schools of big active tetras like: congos, reed eyes, the other ones some one metioned. 2 big gouramis likeearls, gold, opaline, blue or moonlight. And a big school of something like harlequins or cardinals.
6 congos
6 red eye or other bigger tetras
2 gouramis
12-14 harlequins or cardinals.

How does that sound?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
freejoe

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 227
Votes: 756
male canada ca-alberta
I know that a severum gets to be up to 8 inches but have we really sat back and thought how long would it take a little 1-2 inch severum to grow up to be fully grown 8 inch fish and how much credit you would get trading it back to the fish store for some new smaller stock

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an bacon and egg breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1951
Votes: 137
get a few altos, they take a very lone time t ogrow, and they might breed
misty666660
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 61
Votes: 1
female australia
What about one or two bolivian rams? They are not afraid of little kids banging on the glass, and are very fiesty and fun to watch, but never do any harm to other fish. I have two in my 4 foot and they are constant amusement and they have never harmed any tetras or angels. They are however very greedy. Also they don't get that big, but i think their personality makes them ideal.
I also find ornate tetras to be quite bold and active and colourfull (orange and white - similar in size and shape to lemon tetras). Both are frequently available in Oz. I have seen the rams for about $15 and the tetras for about $6.
Darthannihl8or
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 140
Votes: 20
male australia
Thanks for the ideas but I did write that I wanted something that will grow quickly, and I also ant something that gets pretty big, that's why I was thinking a severum.

If it gets too big for the tank I can easily take it and put it in my 250G tank, or trade it in.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:57Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies