L# Restocking the 55g
SubscribeRestocking the 55g
john.stone
-----
Banned
Kudos: 2332
Votes: 18
male usa
Well... For those of you who've kept up with my RR post, you know I'm going to be restocking my 55g ASAP... This is my current idea, feel free to tweak it, prod it, and poke it with a stick.

1 Red Tailed Shark
8 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Cardinal Tetra
8 Rummy Nose Tetra
8 Khuli Loaches (or other bottom feeder as the RTBS might not like them)
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:23Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
*pokes it with a stick*

Well, it might be just me, but instead of three smaller schools of tetras and rasboras, why not go with 2 larger schools?

Pick the two that you like best and then get 12-14 of each type.

I'm always a fan of larger schools. I think the behaviour they exhibit is much more interesting.

*pokes it with a stick once again*

Joe Potato

Edit: Beat ya, Babel.

Last edited by Joe Potato at 19-Oct-2004 15:13
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:23Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
*pokes it with a gravel vac*

Just an idea....but instead of having 3 mid level schools, maybe pick just 2, have a larger and slightly smaller....

I'd go with corys for the bottom, but I don't know RTBS's and their little quarks ....

^_^
*Proud member of the Committee for Sig Line Restoration*

Edit: Curse the Jinks gods!
Invalid use of Null: 'CBool'

Last edited by Babelfish at 19-Oct-2004 15:12

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:23Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
john.stone
-----
Banned
male usa
Ahh... that's a good idea joe babel... or should I say babel joe...

I would go with corys as my RTBS is rather fond of them... But I am just now getting rid of a dozen of the little things...

New plan:
1 Red Tailed Shark
14 Harlequin Rasboras
14 Cardinal Tetra
8 Khuli Loaches or other bottom feeder

Last edited by john.stone at 19-Oct-2004 15:35
john.stone
-----
Banned
male usa
Ok... Long story short... Getting Cardinals and Harlequins locally is basically an impossibility, the cardinals were $3 each and required a water sample and the Harlequins were $4 each. So I'm going to be buying Neons and Harlequins online instead... I know this seems like a bad idea... But it's all I can do... Plus I don't think neons are as bad as people say... But that's another story.

So heres how the stocking looks...

1 Red Tailed Shark
18 Harlequin Rasboras
18 Neon Tetra
6 Yo-Yo Loaches (I do worry about the shark chasing them...)

ANY input would be great.
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I like the idea of two large schools; neons and harlequins would be a nice combo. Where do you buy from online?

If the RTBS wouldn't bother them I'd go with loaches. I like cories but definitely prefer loaches. I keep kuhlis and queens, which are similar to yo-yos. Six is a good-sized group where you'd see lots of activity.

I did some reading on a couple sites where people gives 'reviews' of fish, personal experience-type things. People keep-or have kept-RTBS with many different types of fish with mixed results...back to individual fish personality I suppose. Thought I'd share one comment in particular:
Although he still charges at my 2 yo-yo loaches from time to time and noses the Pleco out of his lair (a hollowed small piece of driftwood tree trunk), he has never killed anyone.

Keep us posted on what you decide, it sounds like a really nice setup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:23Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
john.stone
-----
Banned
male usa
I like the idea of two large schools; neons and harlequins would be a nice combo. Where do you buy from online?

Yeah, I liked it to... I think they'll look amazing swimming all together. I plan to buy them from http://www.aquariumfish.net]http://www.aquariumfish.net[/link] I've listed all of their radio shows on[link=http://www.petfishtalk.com and I trust them.

If the RTBS wouldn't bother them I'd go with loaches. I like cories but definitely prefer loaches. I keep kuhlis and queens, which are similar to yo-yos. Six is a good-sized group where you'd see lots of activity.

Yeah I LOVE clown loaches, but I don't have an aquarium big enough for them, so I hope to get some of the fun behavior without the huge size.

I did some reading on a couple sites where people gives 'reviews' of fish, personal experience-type things. People keep-or have kept-RTBS with many different types of fish with mixed results...back to individual fish personality I suppose. Thought I'd share one comment in particular: "Although he still charges at my 2 yo-yo loaches from time to time and noses the Pleco out of his lair (a hollowed small piece of driftwood tree trunk), he has never killed anyone."

I found the exact same site!!! Yeah, I figure my sharkie will be good... I've had her for a good long time and shes never killed anyone... I've had her with firemouths, tiger barbs, cories, ottos and danios and shes always been good... She chased the tiger barbs a bit, but never enough to do any damage.

Keep us posted on what you decide, it sounds like a really nice setup.

Will do, thanks for your reply.

Last edited by john.stone at 26-Oct-2004 05:49
john.stone
-----
Banned
male usa
Ok so it's locked in...
18 Neon Tetra
18 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Yo-Yo Loaches
Have been orderd and with any luck will be here tomorrow... *crosses fingers*
Update:
They'll be here friday ...

Last edited by john.stone at 26-Oct-2004 14:37
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies