Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIllness
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
I believe that I have a tank that has a disease in it but I don't know what it is. The problem is that my fish develop a swollen anal area that will have what looks like little red threads hanging out of them. It has happened to my Molly that were in there, and now it is happening to an apistogramma. So far it has been 100% fatal when treating with melafix and pimafix. Separate and together. I really am at a loss and don't know how to save my fish. Please help! It is a very hard thing to photo but I will try. The fish exhibits no other physical signs of illness they will still eat but tend to be a little lethargic.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2006 06:11Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
What your fish have is Camallanus. It is actually an internal parasite, so pimafix and melafix won't help. Check the disease profile on FP and also look on this link- http://fishpalace.org/disease.htm#Worm Be sure to also look at the link in the roundworms section.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2006 16:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Jasmine's Angels
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 9
Votes: 1
female usa
Hi mrwizerd

I am currently going thru the exact same thing. What I am doing is I treated my entire aquarium with Jungle's Parasite Clear tabs & I vaccumed the tank out really well, doing a 50% water change. I cleaned all the plants & rocks & I am feeding them all Jungle's Anti-Parasite medicated fish food. I also QT my infected fish in hospital tank.

I have since then retreated my main aquarium with the Parasite Clear & a 25% water change.

The QT fish is still being treated with med food & Parasite Clear. He is doing well & is eating. The worms are still there but not as many. All my other fish have no signs of illness but I am still feeding medicated food.

From what I understand parasites are difficult to get rid of. It is also contagious so no new additions.

Good luck.
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 16:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
You guys know were to find Levamisole aparantly thats the best treatment.
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 21:46Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Jasmine's Angels
-----
Fingerling
female usa
I cant find anything that will help. I did find vets that carry Panacur but I cnt get a vet to prescribe it to me. I been looking around for several weeks now & nothing.

Wish I could help!
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 20:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Jasmine's Angels
-----
Fingerling
female usa
Ok.....I might have a solution for you I am currently working on myself. I have found a place where you can get Panacur (a dewormer) for internal parasites. This is what I am going to use for my problem. I went to Petmeds website & I have a prescription coming. I am still working on the dose but from what I understand from others who have had this same problem, Panacur is supposed to cure Camallanus including the eggs & larvae. I currently have an order in for a package @ 1gram dose. I will let you know how it works once the meds come in.
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2006 23:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies